Xojo and ARM (Apple Silicon)

Preliminary indications seem to show that while compiled Xojo apps for the most part do work on an Apple Silicon based machine, the Xojo IDE itself seems to be confusing Rosetta2 to no end.

This of course could be due to the BETA nature of the current Apple release, or could be an indication that Xojo has a TON of work to do in order to have a product that even works on Day One. This of course will further impact the already distressed release schedule.

Whose been testing on the Apple Dev Kit??

Looks like a few people on “that other forum” got dev kits already

1 Like

I asked thom about this last night and he tested the IDE and reported his findings on the other forum

so far I dont know anyone that has managed to get an IDE to run on the new hardware

Are you saying that there are already ARM-based Apple laptops out in the wild?

No… just a few developers have gotten the Dev Transition Kits from Apple already, which is a a custom MacMini with a A12z chip and beta version of Big Sur

1 Like

You can also order a DTK from Apple. Just $99 for developer membership and about $500 for that lovely Mac Mini. And I also bought it a nice 4K LG screen :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t forget… you are NOT buying the DTK… you must return it when Apple asks for it back… and they WILL ask for it back. plus I think there are other requirements you must meet besides just forking over $500

1 Like

I expect they do a swap like last time.
I remember we got an iMac for the DTK on return.

Well to be honest… you’re the first the ever mentioned that… everyone else I’ve read who referred to previous similar transtions, said they returned it… period…

$500 for a machine who’s modern day equivalent sells for 2x that? plus the $500 is a subscription not a deposit for the hardware.

Apple Developer Program members can start moving their apps to Apple silicon today by applying for the Universal App Quick Start Program. The program provides access to documentation, forums support, beta versions of macOS Big Sur and Xcode 12, and includes the limited use of a DTK, which will enable developers to build and test their Universal 2 apps. The DTK, which must be returned to Apple at the end of the program, consists of a Mac mini with Apple’s A12Z Bionic SoC inside and desktop specs, including 16GB of memory, a 512GB SSD, and a variety of Mac I/O ports. Developers can apply to the program at developer.apple.com, and the total cost of the program is $500.

I have a developer membership. Where do I see about getting this Mac mini? I don’t see anything on the developer site…

NM. I found it. Well-hidden!
https://developer.apple.com/programs/universal/

What I don’t get is that they want the Mini returned. Do you get your $500 back when you return it?

Probably because it is “beta technology” and not the final product. and NO you don’t get your $500 back

ROFL. you are talking about apple. They charge you to give you the privilege of charging you comisions on your sales.

1 Like

Wow. What a world this would be if I could get people to PAY ME to beta test my software. I have a hard enough time getting people to even TRY my free software. Crazy.

And seems SO WRONG that they don’t encourage beta testing by making it free. I mean the OS will be free anyway! Nutty.

2 Likes

The $500 isn’t to test the new HW… its to join a level of the developer program. A level that weeds out people that just want to see the new HW… and keep only people that will benefit and add benefit… and I’m sure there are other otpions at that level as well.

Maybe that is the problem with xojo, they try to aply the apple logic and sell even the sesion XDC videos. :shushing_face:

Session videos CAN sell

Just dont try & price them the same as actually being there because there is a lot lost in recording

There is a slice that WILL come to the conference regardless as long as its not ridiculously priced
And a slice that never will and wont buy the videos either

And then everything else in between and the trick is pricing it so they sell enough to cover costs but dont serve as a disincentive to come to the conference itself

Worked for another company that did that pretty well and recording the videos & selling them was always a decent revenue stream because they did not price them too high (I think they went with 40-50% of the conference ticket price or so)

1 Like