Xojo 2022 release 1

Raspberry license seems no longer free

when you need every nickel & dime …

really dont understand that but they dont/wont explain it even if asked so I wouldnt bother asking

but if I go to Xojo: Store it seems free still ? no ?

It seems to have been lumped in with the Linux license …

yes

For how long? See

What have been added into Xojo 2022 release 1 to justify the price rise ?

Thin Release Notes version shows no special addition to Xojo…

Weird
so its sometimes included with a license or free ?

TBH my reaction to this release was “Myeh” as in take it or leave it but nothing so compelling I HAVE to have it and use it every day

As to the price increase there are many possible explanations - some unrelated to there being so much new value in the new release that it justifies a price increase

Its normal to increase prices of course, but the increase is substantial i think.

Delphi on a discount is looking more and more appealing :), last month is was “just” 1500 bucks :open_mouth:

1 Like

For me Delphi was a decent tool
What I found disappointing was that the IDE is Windows only - despite having an x-platform framework ? (I do understand why this is its just disappointing)
Even being a Windows only IDE I found it … challenging to create an x-platform app when I last looked
Maybe thats gotten better ?

I do think that Delphi is priced differently than Xojo because they ARE actively trying to appeal to “professional” developers and not so much the citizen/hobbyist market that Xojo seems to be chasing - and their price point reflects that.

With Xojo once you hit the Pro price point is there any point to the Pro+ ?
It’s still cheaper to buy 2 Pro licenses to get 6 deploys than to buy one Pro+.
Fast fixes is the only differentiator and I dont have any good experiences to relay with that. Maybe others do and find that useful

Yes, though they have a Community Edition that enables startups to at least build and distribute their projects before commiting to pay that kind of money. The problem with the Community Edition is that
it always lags at least one version behind :frowning:

I have never understood that model. Because is this really a Pro tool?

I dont know, havent used it much lately

What I DO use now is .Net winforms and the Devexpress Winforms toolkit, Halleluja, its good :slight_smile:

Is any of that portable now that .Net Core is moving that direction ?

No, not the winforms toolkit. Although I design my business logic code in a way that makes it possible to use in multi platform projects, views are completely separate. So I could for instance create views in AvaloniaUI(XAML) to get multiplatform support.

The “Linux / Raspberry Pi” lite license has being named like that since day 1 Xojo had the Pi as a target.

Back then, in the pi section they included a fre “Pi console” license, but for desktop apps you needed a “Linux / Raspberry Pi” license. Some time lather they included the Desktop in the free licence.

What frustrates me is that console apps are locked behind pro. I don’t need Web or iOS. I tried iOS recently, it was horrific. So I need Mac desktop, Windows desktop, and Linux console. I’m essentially paying $400 per year for console apps.

At the end of the day, Pro is still less than 1% of my revenue even after the price increase. But I’m not using most of what it’s bundled with.

1 Like

Thom ,

You are the type of person that they are trying to make sure buys Pro… So I guess bundling it that way works for them…maybe.

I know it made me feel less sportive of the company, given what console is and the fact that it used to be bundled with desktop at one time…

I think it would have helped justify the price increase to have included X-Platform console in desktop… and maybe even single OS console with the single desktop OS versions.

I can’t believe that would have much if any noticeable hit to their profits and it would have made it easier to swallow the price increase…

But i know they won’t do that (adding workers makes that even less likely than it would have been before),…

These days, if i even posted that suggestion on their board, it would get deleted pretty fast. (there was a time that would not have been the case )

-Karen

1 Like