XDC videos 'for FREE' advert

https://forum.xojo.com/t/get-xojo-videos-with-any-purchase-through-january-25th/74124

They are giving those XDC 2022 videos ‘for FREE’ (-> their own words).

Do you remember how people who kindly suggested to do exactly that were told off by Xojo directors and then got viciously attacked by their auxiliary forces?

Looks like it isn’t a best seller, those videos.

1 Like

“Hey we have a shit load of old XDC videos that we had made, and nobody wanted to PAY outrageous prices to get them… So what the hell, they ain’t worth shit anyways… So, sure we will include one for “FREE” when you BUY something”

1 Like

Same as every year.

1. go to conference to see it live (and get videos later)
  2. buy videos
  3. get videos as bonus for purchase
  4. eventually they get published for free to everyone

Geoff, Dana, and Alyssa know better than everyone else about everything. Muahahahaha

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with them phasing the videos towards ‘free with purchase’. They are doing the best they can with limited resources, staff, sales, and marketing.

The problem I have is that using other dev environments you clearly see a difference in resources dedicated to get users up to speed on the vendor website. Yes, Xojo has some but its vastly inferior to what others are doing. I’ve spent the last 3 months retraining in Go, React, and TypeScript and it amazes me that they don’t have a single course on Udemy, CodeAcademy or the like.

If I were to ever do my training videos again this is the route I would take. But I think the potential market is so small that it would never make enough money to justify the production cost. But who knows, maybe having something would spur some interest in Xojo.

I think people run across Xojo and then look for training resources (books, training, blogs, etc) and find nothing so they move on. I think this should be part of their marketing.

But what the f*ck do I know?

3 Likes

Yes, all the old resources, blogs, sites, training are gone, the few still around outdated and xojo put the little they have with marketing value behind a paywall. Pretty dumb move as allways :frowning:

1 Like

Dumb’s a strong word but I’d be curious if they ever go to a competitors website to see what they do. And sign up for competitor news feeds, press releases, etc to get new ideas. Steve Jobs said, “Good artists copy; great artists steal.”

Dunno, but it seems like they’re doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

3 Likes

Last time they did this “any purchase get the link” I think I spent $20

SQLVue would be my choice this time - its $15 and probably useful in its own right

I do wonder If a free pi “purchase” qualifies*

• and am now waiting for that q to be answered non TOF after they read my post here wondering :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe a “strong word”, but describes this perfectly.

Some time ago, that’s pretty much how I felt about 2.0 ATT. It’s rebranding. If that’s the case, this is the 3rd time they’ve tried rebranding, I don’t think it helped in the past and I certainly don’t think 2.0 ATT helped at all, I think it did completely the opposite and someone doesn’t like that.

Ummm… I know your are referring to API 2 … but that does ATT stand for?

-Karen

“2.0 All The Things”, encompassing the following (but not limited too)

• API 2.0
  • Web 2.0
  • DesktopControls
  • Language Reference 2.0
  • New bug tracker.
  • iOS → mobile (not yet ready for release).

Basically ignoring your customers, in favor of “Shiny”.

3 Likes

Years wasted on making the half baked new things, and many other years fixing the new bugs

2 Likes

This really resonates with me.

I’ve toyed with the idea of either creating an Udemy course for Xojo or writing a book for years but I’m just not sure if I would make any money let alone enough to justify the hundreds of hours needed.

What do you guys think?

Well, that is some maths.

There are thousands of Xojo developers.

If you expect 100 people to pick up the course per year and you put in 100 hours of work into it, then you may get the hourly rate you plan to charge for the course. Like $99.

A key element would be to work with Dana to make sure new people signing up for Xojo are informed about the course.

Even I would advertise it, if you’d include a few plug-in related things.

1 Like

Byron made some very good Xojo learning videos but hasn‘t published anything new since 8 months. He may just wait until the dust of all the ongoing 2.0 works has settled in order to avoid producing soon-to-be obsolete stuff. You could ask him.

1 Like

I‘d say the new bug tracker is on the positive side.

Commercially, I don’t think creating training videos for Xojo is worth the investment time to make them. If you’re trying to do Xojo the company a huge favor and you want to take on a huge project, it would probably pass the time.

Personally, I don’t think anyone should. They invalidated Bob’s hours of training videos because Geoff had a vanity itch. In my mind, the onus for creating new training is now theirs. Heck, not even the documentation is complete or accurate.

1 Like

I’d second that sentiment

The other thing to consider is if you’re trying to do it as a means to earn $ is the community willing to pay for the time you invest to create this ?
I cant speak for @bkeeney and what he earned vs the time invested

But, so many times the sentiment for any kind of add on etc is Oh ! I have to pay for this ? It should be free so I’m not going to use it until Xojo does something for free

There’s a distinct unwillingness to pay for much and I dont know where that stems from
It may be a symptom of the users Xojo attracts
Full time developers arent shocked by this sort of thing - its very common in other communities. In the day I paid more for VB add ons than I ever paid for VB. Same for 4D and a few other tools & languages I’ve used over the years like CodeWarrior.
But that portion of the user base seems a lot smaller now

1 Like

Well, you would probably market it to the Pro users to train new staff. Or for beginners, who value time more than money and do pay for stuff.
Companies easily pay for training.

To promote you may from time to time do a few free videos and point people to get more by subscribing.