XDC on live support

Miami 2019. I’m near the center of that shot.
The larger keynotes in Denver were across the street.

1 Like

Ok, pre-2022 and pre-API2.

And here‘s the question with no answer:
https://forum.xojo.com/t/xdc-london/73456/45

Ok, pre-2022 and pre-API2.

But 2 years after the Android announcement, as a very wise man once wrote in 2016 …

Source: Xojo: The Best Secret in the Programming Industry Part 1

Time is flying :wink:

5 replied :wink:

Heh. That was 2016. That’s ancient in software terms.

1 Like

not so much in Xojo land :slight_smile: - by then I was already used to the fact that it might take a few years, but never 7 years, assuming the alpha release will come available next week …

My bet is 20 attendees ( not including Xojo staff).
Assuming 200 000 active Xojo developers worldwide (‘hundreds of thousands of Xojo developers…’), the participation rate is at something like 0.01%. That silent license-paying majority is huge. So huge that Xojo Inc cannot afford another in-person XDC beyond 2023.
https://blog.xojo.com/2023/03/07/no-we-dont-have-plans-for-a-xdc-2024/

And the blame goes to: hotel prices and people’s habits.

The low attendance number of professional developers may have something to do with API2, persistent quality problems and the continued denial of reality (‘Xojo is adequately staffed’j.

3 Likes

You should adopt a more positive mindset. Think of Xojo as akin to driving a classic car. Enthusiasts gather at exclusive venues, mastering the art of optimizing old technology while critiquing the trends of electric vehicles, environmental advocates, and the perks of free parking for electric cars at charging stations.

During breaks, you can debate the merits of e-fuels, which may not be available in adequate amounts anytime soon and might never achieve a satisfactory energy balance. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun! :wink:

Ah, I can see XDC as an Old Timer event. Now it looks much nicer! :grin:

Yes but an event for an old vintage car with a windows 95 controller where you have to press start before using the air conditioning and get a blue screen when breaking

1 Like

the old timers attending the vintage car sessions won’t miss air conditioning :slight_smile:

I had planned on attending and was due to give a presentation. I had to pull out for two reasons.

The main reason was a scheduling conflict with my wife’s job which would have made childcare really difficult if I had attended.

The second reason (which was the clincher) was the cost. I’m very fortunate in that I have some disposable income as a doctor but Xojo is not my source of income (much like most of Xojo’s target audience - citizen developers). I just couldn’t justify hundreds of pounds for the ticket and the best part of £1000 for a hotel (I’m too far in the UK from London to commute).

I wish they’d offer an option to live stream it. Heck, I’d pay £100 or so to see and watch the sessions from home. I know they record it but they is no way I can justify £200/300 for the videos when they release them.

1 Like

Fully understandable and reasonable that you don’t wish to spend that lavishly on this gathering.

I observed that the XDC 2022 videos have been released on Xojo’s YouTube channel. This was a sensible decision and I thought they finally understood that the 1990s and their business models are long gone.
This year I doubt that you will find someone supporting you in TOF in this, recalling all the nastiness and vile actions Xojo Inc and their auxiliary forces deployed against members who expressed a desire to discuss the matter.

A hybrid event here you can attend in person OR via video streaming would be really nice and many other companies do such a thing

WWDC for instance
Or MS Build
And there are others

But it was a fight to get them to ever record them
I started asking pretty much the moment I arrived and 6 or 7 years later they finally did it
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

but what if after ou made it hybrid nobody wants to be there in person anymore? I guess that risk they realized

That’s the naive concern. The reality is that it would make it accessible for more people. The more people in the community the better for Xojo. Some will become paying customers and some will become recurrent customers.

It costs next to nothing to stream. Just stick it on YouTube. I cannot believe they make any meaningful money selling them after the fact for hundreds of dollars.

1 Like

Just wait and see. Don’t put your head on the MVP chopping block :wink:

At this point in time given everything that has transpired & how they seem to have really pushed so many full time developers away it probably wouldn’t make sense

Had they dont this hybrid event before Web 2, API 2 and all the rest of the things they probably would still have had many people attend in person AND many attend online

But thats only supposition and we’ll never know now

If they did it now I suspect they’d find in person attendance would be way down

1 Like

On a personal note: this year I won’t even watch the ‘free’ keynote. Last year’s ‘Xojo is adequately staffed’ was enough of this nonsense. A waste of time.

I will attend WWDC online.

1 Like