Why go for cross-platform desktop apps in 2023?

I’m not sure that the end of a support period means no security updates. I have seen MSFT do security updates on some pretty old tech. I think it is just an end to actively fixing bugs in general. But if even say .NET framework 3 is still installed and being used on millions of computers they can’t really evade fixing some zero-day exploit that becomes known.

MSFT sends old tech to die at MSFT India so it doesn’t get the love of the currently active releases but it isn’t totally neglected, either.

End of support is end of support. No bugs no sec. Maybe they do one. But I doubt that

Just researched at Microsoft support. Nope. No updates no security updates nothin planned, deprecated is deprecated. Nothin comparable to java. Ms does a cheap job

Hm, well if that’s the case then the takeaway is that you have about 3 years max before you have to move on, assuming you stick to the LTS release in odd-numbered years – otherwise you trust to luck, which in terms of security updates probably isn’t an issue for the back-end services I mostly write. I agree that is too restrictive, though.

Oh man. The nice part on lts releases is that they have long time support. And stick to that release is not needed. While I know what I will have to do if there is something to do even I can also do production with the newest release. But that is not needed while java 17 is good for Production and all needed technologies are running in actual versions. It is not like Ms dotnet. But I know you know better. It is a disease of this platform. I saw many Ms user coming and going. There is no maintenance and the only argument you have is you are stocked with java lts for three years. So what you have not even long term releases which are worth of this wording. Ms is not code reliable. Java is. And on top it is rock solid. Desktop with swing runs on all java versions. All swing apps I could deliver with java 17,19 and later also 21. Not like Ms. Where you wait for technology features java has since long time. So stick yourself with this rusty stuff not really running on MacOS and leave me my silence cause this discussions are not worth the time I am writing. I had three in the same market. All are dead today. Why? While they had to much stresses with cross platform and they had regulatory nightmares. I don’t want that. So I am not developing with technology from Ms. You can do it. But don’t try to press down a product which us not yours while you do not have that features and reliability. Work with your Toolchain but I don’t want to discuss in that form. It costs too many nerves. I am since long time on the market and I am paying my employees for the job they are doing. I have a bunch of customers and they all come back to me. Even a big one tried dotnet. We renovate his swing app now and he kicked the Ms Troup. Why? While the result was bad. So move on and that’s it.

Hi Chris,

just saw during my training a new sales action popping on udemy (until March 23rd). I’m not sure though if those are regional or global. Good luck.

Jeannot

1 Like

Hello Jeannot,

Thank you for the information, I will take a look at it.

Chris