Who wants to use Java for Development

B4J has no native mac IDE
Would be nice if it did

3 Likes

Then only way is intellijidea and java

I tried to use B4x, I have the B4i licence too and, what I mean about the benefits of Mac is that I can not face spending minutes in front of a windows machine let a lone 10 hours or more a day while developing code, as I do most days.

I tried it, in a VM dedicated to B4x, I just could not put up with all the windows stuff that the OS does differently and how it looks.
I know the team to B4 have done an amazing job with the product and it is superb, they also said its never going to be able to go Mac so end of journey for me, I am afraid.

2 Likes

Sorry. Erel said Mac version is not planned now. I would also really prefer b4 instead of javafor many reasons

1 Like

Iā€™m the same way. It might seem petty but life is too short to deal with daily aggravation, no matter how trivial it may appear to others. And we have other options. Iā€™d include XOJO as one of those options. I havenā€™t abandoned it entirely. Still great for the desktop IMO.

I am in the process of removing xojo for all use as its stopped being viable for me after 19r11 so it will soon be unusable in some circumstance, maybe it will always be ok on windows, but windows is such a low area of use for me its not important at all really.
therefore the java route is a step worth real consideration, it is so cumbersome to get planning anything to start off with I am finding at the moment.

if b4 were Mac IDE it would be a perfect solution to very many people, but it is the right house on the wrong side of town for me.

it would kill !
but thats not in the cards at the moment

when it comes to desktop applications, I would like go know how to best protect your sourcecode, beacuse it is easily decompiled isnt it?

It makes me a bit uneasy choosing java for desktop because of this.

There are tricks one can use that really fuck up decompilers:

Not getting it. Whatā€™s the trick?

You can use GraalVM native Image and there is no decompile anymore. Or obfuscate the Code and there is no decompile anymore.

1 Like

The trick is obfuscating the code. There are many solutions on the market. Or using Graalvm which produces native running Apps without JVM and without Java binary File. There is no rest for decompiling. Graalvm is available for Download.

1 Like

thank you, that one seems like the way to go

Here the trick was applied to the jar and then trying to decompile. Iā€™m not going to put the trick itself (writing some specific dummy source code in a method that causes the decompilers to crash) here in an open forum. But good luck to those trying to decypher this and getting something useful out of it.

Indeed, for 99.99% of the ones trying to read your code this is more than enough.

I know but the people believe the the code copy is the normal way. It is not. By the way it is possible to use even GraalVM and not having that problem. Or, another Way of doing it if obfuscating and the third way of doing it is invoke not runnable code and the decompiler will die from it.

On this topic, Java Development, someone should write-up a general summary of what all the different components are. I keep seeing several ā€œbuzz wordsā€ mentioned but have little to no idea what they are (and searching for them just leads one down many rabbit holes).

The items Iā€™ve seen mentioned here and the other thread (WHAT are people moving to or are considering moving to?) are:

• IntelliJIdea - Seems it is an IDE - Desktop only? Or can it be used for all platform development?
  • JFormDesigner - GUI designer, but WYSIWYG or text-based?
  • Netbeans - Networking libraries?
  • Gluon - No idea
  • Swing - (GUI) framework?
  • Add any others that are relevant
1 Like
  • IntelliJIdea - Seems it is an IDE - Desktop only? Or can it be used for all platform development

For all platform development

• JFormDesigner - GUI designer, but WYSIWYG or text-based?

Wysiwyg GUI designer for java swing desktop apps

• Netbeans - Networking libraries?

Netbeans ide from Apache like intellij multi platform

• Gluon - No idea

Gluonhq.com for mobile development and also maintainer of javaFx

• Swing - (GUI) framework?

Swing is theimplementedgui Framework and thereā€™s aldojavafx the other big desktop framework

• Add any others that are relevant

I would like to add codenameonefor mobile and desktop development including GUI designer

Vaadin for web applications

Cuba platform fordstabase driven web apps