When will Xojo support Dark Mode on Windows and Linux?

Had come across

if you have to create your own controls to support dark mode on Windows and Linux to support dark mode, can Xojo still call itself a Rapid Application Development (RAD) system?

Of cause my comment got deleted … :roll_eyes:

… so I’m asking here without “fear” of censorship: what are the options for Xojo? And how does it look in B4X?

I’m happy to pass any advice back to the original questioner …

At #3 on the roadmap is “New Desktop controls with API 2 events” - will these then support dark mode? Because the expectation from a Rapid Application Development tool is for support for dark mode to be build in (after all, how many YEARS has dark mode been around now?) … hmmm, but will it be native or CSS based …? Or a mix of the two?

Is Dark Mode as a true “Dark Mode” an officially supported OS feature of Windows ?

-Karen

The reality is that Dark Mode on Windows depends on what UI toolkit you’re using
Win32 is a royal pita to support Windows Dark mode
WinForms and WPF should be better
And Project Reunion, which aims to bring parity to the 3 (or is it 4?) UI API’s windows should have better support in ALL UI api’s

Xojo uses Win32 as it has been what they have long used
And it didnt require them rewriting the Windows framework multiple times to support WinForms & WPF (something about like “Cocoa for Windows”)

I cant really blame them for not having it because MS has been wishy washy about which toolkit to use
For a while it was WinForms,thenWPF, and now whatever Project Reunion comes up with

That said I’m not sure what anthony is / isnt doing

But you’re right WYSIWYG goes out the window on the desktop

Oh, it’s much worse than that. Up until a few years ago, I was a Windows guy and I had some idea what these different UIs were. Now? Forget it. There are so many I find it impossible to navigate.

• Win32
  • WinForms
  • WPF
  • UWP
  • SilverLight
  • WinUI (1/2/3)
  • Reunion
  • Xamarin

And then add in the various Xaml formats for describing the UIs, it’s a mess.

One or 10 frameworks doesn’t really make a difference. Xojo had to pick a framework for its Windows support, so all that matters is dark mode support in that framework. Xojo moves to a better framework, they need dark mode support in that framework.

Just because Microsoft can’t decide what it wants to do is no excuse for Xojo not to implement expected features in the framework they are using.

Win32 doesnt support “dark mode” :slight_smile:
Thats the problem - dark mode is supported in a different UI framework
As are other ui things that are common in Windows 10

Which is why MS has Project Reunion to bring “feature parity” to all supported UI frameworks (see for yourself here GitHub - microsoft/ProjectReunion: Project Reunion empowers all Windows apps (not just UWP/MSIX) with modern Windows UI, APIs, and platform features, including back-compat support, shipped via NuGet. )

I dont know if Xojo would need to do a “Carbon → Cocoa transition for Windows” for this to be of significant use
But at some point they’ll probably need to

1 Like

Wasn’t Win32 the only framework available at the time?

On Linux not while there is kde, xfce, Ubuntu, gnome, lxde and many others what would give the need to detect and to be really native what is not so.

Yes when REAL first supported Windows there was only Win32
The rest have come along since then and added functionality & capabilities that are not native to Win32

Didnt it also ‘do’ Java output though?

It did Java Output. Was a big chance. Taken by B4J.

It did
that disappeared before version 1.0 shipped

It disappeared with version 2, when Windws was added.

Fortunately (or not), i do not looked at it then.