Sorry for being rude and not civil enough

Again: the difference why I was here and not going elsewhere is while this should be and was declared to me as a no banning forum for especially the people got banned from TOF. That is why I could read in the old posts I was looking for now. So yes, your feeling seems to be right.

Iā€™m sorry, English is not my first language, is ā€˜dudeā€™ an offensive term? I always thought it was an informal way to call another person or friend (at least in the USA). I have heard teens call ā€˜dudeā€™ a friend (male/female), so Iā€™m surprised to read that ā€˜dudeā€™ can be considered offensive.

Maybe is offensive in another English-speaking country?

There are many words in Spanish that in one country are ā€˜normalā€™ words and in another country, the same word is a word used as a ā€˜curse/badā€™ word.

1 Like

That is offensive without any relationship.

In the USā€¦ ā€œDudeā€ can be offensive, but usually is notā€¦ it depends on the context in which it is usedā€¦

Thank you. I searched to see if it is offensive and the first result on Google said:

Dude is in no way derogatory or disrespectful, but is not appropriate in formal speech . It has a counter-culture vibe as it was popularized in 1960ā€™s surfer culture. More modern culture in the 1990s say use of dude by Bart of the Simpsons and in ā€œBill and Tedā€™s Excellent Adventureā€

I guess the context is the important part.

Edit: thank you, all clear now.

1 Like

Correct, in the context of a half-hearted apology after this person called me a fa$ci$t for no reason, I take the artistic liberty of interpreting that as not being nice :wink:

If a friend said to me, ā€œDude, you should check out Java,ā€ thatā€™s okay. If my boss would tell me ā€œDude, youā€™re fired!ā€ I would probably have a target for misconduct in Germany :wink: .

1 Like

When I was a kid, kids did not address adults by their first names (close family friends might have ā€œUncle/Auntā€ appended as a workaround.) Formal adult relationships also had unwritten rules for formal, as opposed to familiar address (though English speakers donā€™t use different pronouns for the respective situations, unlike, say, German.) ā€œDudeā€, at its best, is a form of familiar address that some would find inappropriate. These rules have been breaking down, though.

What stirred this discussion was @MarkusWinter naming me ā€˜snowflakeā€™.
Which means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang).
He did not explain why he did this.

First: when he said this he could not name you with it. It is the second Answer to this thread. Means: how he could mean you with the word Snowflake? As far as I can see it was not so that you could be in his focus when he said that. So I canā€™t see how you believe he means you personally.

Does this imply that someone who got banned from Xojoā€™s forum can harass and insult people here with impunity?

Iā€™m not sure that snowflake was aimed at you but the person who originally flagged Thorstenā€™s posts

1 Like

It was certainly addressed to me. Read the first line.

two at the same time!

No. The first LINE meant me: THORSTEN. That is MY NAME and NOT YOUR NAME Torsten. so how he could mean you with it. He could not.

Did I flag these posts?

To that I can DEFINITIVELY say no you did not

Even if, it has nothing to do with it cause he could not know even IF you would be the one flagged the posts. Because he could not know he could not address you but address me.

Better use the link ā€˜@ā€˜ for reference to people. Remains the pejorative ā€˜snowflakeā€™. Who is meant?

I was the person that flagged Thorstenā€™s original post
So I suspect that ā€˜snowflakeā€™ would have been aimed at me

Thorsten and I have talked
And Iā€™m glad to see he posted an apology here

End of story as far as Iā€™m concerned

Time to move on

1 Like

As you can see Norman I posted an Apology for my Post and corrected what was in my view not correctly handled. That is a different thing. By the way Markus did not know who was flagging the post and it is not from interest who was doing it.