Realistically, what could Xojo do to make you stay?

This is the single most ridiculous thing in the IDE by far. I just do not understand why this has not been changed. It has been complained about for years and years.

5 Likes

Yes, and RealStudio’s design in this respect was perfect.

Well, supposedly there’s an IDE redesign ‘in progress’ but it was, what, 4 years ago when they first showed off some of the proof of concept screenshots at XDC? To me this says that API2 was/is a freaking disaster because it took them twice as long to implement as they thought and even now they’re still fighting changes. Too many distractions, too many targets, too few developers.

4 Likes

Consistency - I kid you not

You edit constants and properties of objects in the inspector
So since the signature is a “property” of a method … its in the inspector

That you CANNOT make the inspector wider than about 30% of the width of the IDE window is one issue
Still would be nice to have moved it above the method itself like it was in REAL Studio/REALbasic

3 Likes

Not a real issue if you use the space correctly. Compare the crappy interface they had:

VS what can be EASILY done in the same “limited” inspector width:

Untitled Project

You can make it a floating Window (as I am sure you know! :wink: )

-Karen

That was always supposed to happen. Geoff and I struggled with this for a while. Putting the signature in the inspector was not something anybody wanted. It was something we settled on due to technical constraints. Within a few releases, it was supposed to move above the code editor. We wanted to add a token field, so somebody could type the whole signature if they wanted, or could just edit individual pieces like to provide more guidance. There wasn’t time for that kind of effort, so it went into the inspector for what should have been 2-3 releases.

1 Like

Oh trust me I wasnt a fan of how it was used either
And I wrote a lot of the code to make it do what it does

Dont make me do something I’m going to hate

they worked so badly on windows & linux that … blech !
I just got out of the habit of using them that way at all on those systems and that trickled back to not using it that way on macOS either

yes I know that

and you can type the entire signature into the inspector one :slight_smile:

so often things deferred became things not done :frowning:

do it NOW because you wont ever come back to it like you plan to

is so often true in this business

It was the vision and passion of Steve Jobs that drove Apple to the brink of bankruptcy. Somehow I doubt Bill Gates will be coming out of semi-retirement to bail Xojo out. :wink:

For all I know Geoff could be ‘a really nice guy’ but the outward appearance is of not a very good business person. From what I am reading the business is already withering with little love left for the product. This forum is symptomatic, inhabited as it is by what were some of Real and Xojo’s most loyal customers and most vocal cheer leaders.

A Vision means not automatically the success in Business. The other way around: success in Businesmeans possibly a Vision was successful. The Xojo Vision found no way to a real success. Like Visual Basic had or even VB.NET or other niche languages. Xojo is one of the rarest products.

Um, that happened when Jobs wasn’t at Apple. When he came back he effectively saved Apple.

2 Likes

I saw that too, but in context I just took it for a typo. :slight_smile:

Fixing bugs has been mentioned several times
They JUST finished their Bug Bash month
And while they’ll tell you they fixed a zillion bugs here’s what I saw from the outside

Date         #open bugs
Aug  1, 2022 <not recorded>
Aug  2, 2022 2041
Aug  3, 2022 2047
Aug  4, 2022 <not recorded>
Aug  5, 2022 2029
Aug  6, 2022 2027
Aug  7, 2022 2026
Aug  8, 2022 2028
Aug  9, 2022 2024
Aug 10, 2022 2030
Aug 11, 2022 2038
Aug 12, 2022 2051
Aug 13, 2022 2052
Aug 14, 2022 2046
Aug 15, 2022 2050
Aug 16, 2022 2042
Aug 17, 2022 2045
Aug 18, 2022 2052
Aug 19, 2022 2051
Aug 20, 2022 2050
Aug 21, 2022 2047
Aug 22, 2022 2052
Aug 23, 2022 2050
Aug 24, 2022 2049
Aug 25, 2022 2042
Aug 26, 2022 2038
Aug 27, 2022 2036
Aug 28, 2022 2034
Aug 29, 2022 2038
Aug 30, 2022 2036
Aug 31, 2022 2035
Sep  1, 2022 2029

the total # of issues reported that are labelled BUGS barely moved
It didnt drop by 100 or more

And why not ? On average there are/were as many, if not more, new bugs reported every day than they fixed

This is where they need more hands with the right kind of expertise AND a process to fix and NOT introduce more bugs than they fix every day

THATS what they could do to make be believe they are serious about this - and stay
Personally I’ll keep using it since my clients use it
But they have limits and I truly believe Xojo are pressing some to their limits to the point “we’re moving to some thing else” will be the next words I hear

4 Likes

Personally, I think having several developers that do nothing but bug fixes would slowly whittle them down. Or maybe an 80/20 bug fix to new features mix.

This month definitely feels like they’re proving our point on not having enough staff. Not enough developers and not enough QA on staff. I mean, my company has more Xojo developers than Xojo and we have a nicely staffed QA team that can (and does) do full regression testing.

4 Likes

I did some manual counting for the month of August 2022. Here are the findings:

These numbers indicate that bugs pile up significantly faster than Xojo can fix them.

I also took a look at all issues bearing the labels ‘Bug’ AND ‘Reproducible’. There are just over 1000 of these. Going back in time in that list, most of them are not yet assigned to a developer.

I am waiting for Xojo issuing a statement at the end of BugBash2022 with conclusion and outlook.

Xojo’s developers are doing a great job. However, the strong impression that Xojo is severely understaffed remains.

1 Like

What does your company do?

-Karen

The bug bash was some hope for users that believe reporting bugs is useless, they went back to open issues…

Xojo had a LOT moe reports than other months.

Also there are more new bugs reported than those fixed, they anounce the end of the bug bash and we are back to the “Xojo will never fix bugs” feeling in the comunity…

But tell Xojo they need an extended BugBash and they feel atacked :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It may be too early to draw such a conclusion. Xojo announced they will share their long term plan for addressing bugs. Let’s hear what the plan is.

1 Like