PAP Vote: Polling time allotted

How long should each poll remain open on each non procedural voting item (actual specification defining questions)?

All votes are Anonymous (if I did this correctly)

• Individual poll question time limit should be 8 hours.
  • Individual poll question time limit should be 24 hours.
  • Individual poll question time limit should be 48 hours.
  • No time limit, close on (n) or more respondents.
  • This poll subject matter needs more discussion first.

0 voters

Not sure what a ā€˜PAPā€™ vote is but to me it doesnā€™t make sense having a short time limit on a poll.

It also doesnā€™t make much sense closing it after (n) respondents unless the number is near equal the forum member count (or intended audience).

I would say, leave it open for the intended audience but limit each account, IP address and machine ID to one vote.

2 Likes

I too donā€™t know way a PAP poll is, so I cannot express an opinion to this or the other related pollā€¦

1 Like

Productive Action Plan (PAP)
see Xojo: a Productive Action Plan and Customer's Specification

1 Like

So keeping the vote open indefinitely to give everybody a chance to be counted sounds completely reasonable.

Except for the few edge vote cases where many other issues are going to be based on the outcome of that single vote (ex: what constitutes a acceptable resolution of the situation) or issues that are time dependent (the deadline for the completion of each phase or the plan entire) and finally issues of high (or endless) contention (what class of bugs should be addressed first, what features (if any) that must continue in parallel etc.) Some votes may require a cut off point by their nature, I could be wrong here.

I realize that this poll was set incorrectly by mistake (more than a single vote permitted I think), and I apologize about the acronyms, I will avoid them in the future.

Thanks!

I suggest at least a couple of days would be a good cut-off point. You have to take into account that not everyone is in the same timezone (8 hours will be to short for certain members to be able to vote). We can also not assume everyone will look at the forum every day.

You are correct that some poll questions will depend on the results of another one and in that case I would pick a 48 hour limit, just to keep the flow in it. But there may be other type of questions that can run in parallel and can be open for a much longer time.

1 Like

I suggest at least a couple of days would be a good cut-off point. You have to take into account that not everyone is in the same timezone (8 hours will be to short for certain members to be able to vote).

We can also not assume everyone will look at the forum every day.

Both reasonable and will affect the overall efficacy if we get it wrong.

So far: Votes remain open whenever possible, when a cutoff is needed, perhaps five U.S. business days or some other adequate period.

Thank you!

1 Like

Based on historic responses from the Managment of Xojo, Inc. I think at this point it would be a waste of time to exert the effort to create such a Poll, and an equal waste of time to collect responses. As we know based on past, and present attitute, none of that information would come under any consideration that would lead to a postive change.

One thing I was taught long ago.
If a task does not result in a change in progress, be it positive or negative, then the effort exerted on that task would be better suited to another task

2 Likes

Based on historic responses from the Managment of Xojo, Inc. I think at this point it would be a waste of time to exert the effort to create such a Poll, and an equal waste of time to collect responses. As we know based on past, and present attitute, none of that information would come under any consideration that would lead to a postive change.

Noted and a completely valid and validated position, but a few issues are at play that do make this endeavor potentially worthwhile.

1. World economic forces are going to force many people to change consumption patterns.

2. Larger concentration of dissatisfaction and discontent causing desperate actions from leadership.

3. More and more users (many prominent, with a lot to loose) are standing up.

4. Large scale active, concentrated and coordinated campaigns have never been tried as far as I know.

5. Others are watching. This is not a purely academic exercise in a vacuum. With a proper specification and list of demands, interested competitors and well funded individuals may take notice of the scope of enthusiasm of many customers willing to go any place or pay any price for the relief they seek.

6. Many are posting of politics in here, what do you have to loose?

7. Primary mission of the site (find an alternative, circumvent censorship) both continue unimpeded.

8. Xojo is spiraling out of control with bugs with each release. Perhaps this is overwhelming to leadership and some of our ideas can be cherry-picked for a good effect.

9. Many minds focused on the problem will arrive at novel solutions.

10. Audentes Fortuna Juvat.

1. agreed. and those changes include people finding alternative tools
  2. we have seen this is NOT true. and no evidence that a change is direction is possilbe
  3. agreed. and the change in managment is nil. Egotists are never swayed
  4. how much LARGE and CONCENTRATED than what is happening would you expect?
    5.agreed. this is a restatement of #2, #3 and #4
  5. Politics? If you are talking Trump or other world leaders that has nothing to do with this issue
  6. agreed, and so far this has not and is not impeded
  7. again restatement of previous bullet points
  8. there are only two sets of ā€œnovel solutionsā€, those by the client base (us), and those by Xojo as a company. The ideas of the first are ignored by the second
  9. have NO IDEA what that means

There fore my previously stated opinion remains the same.

Even with 48 hours, Iā€™ll possibly miss some polls, as sometimes Iā€™m checking the forum 3 or more days after my last visit; and the timezone being also different, it may take longer.
But well, I realise not many users are in this case, so I voted for 48 hours anyway; looks reasonable for most users.

Fortune favours the bold