Mojo programming language

Sharing this for your comments, criticisms, and opinions. Or if it’s not your cup a tea, to be ignored.

I don’t really know the problem domain for Modular or fully understand the itch Mojo is trying to scratch, but I will say that the quality of writing / explaining (and thinking) in this document is very high and I have nothing but respect for it.

1 Like

Another decent article about Mojo.

2 Likes

Love some of the statements in there like

The key is that Mojo builds on some really powerful foundations. Very few software projects I’ve seen spend enough time building the right foundations, and tend to accrue as a result mounds of technical debt. Over time, it becomes harder and harder to add features and fix bugs. In a well designed system, however, every feature is easier to add than the last one, is faster, and has fewer bugs, because the foundations each feature builds upon are getting better and better. Mojo is a well designed system.

2 Likes

And more love for these statements from their latest email/newsletter (emphasis mine):

One challenge we have as a small company is that we are tapping into some of the fundamental problems the industry has been struggling with for years, and we cannot solve all the problems at once. We have transformative technology, and are focused on solving production-grade problems while scaling deliberately over time. We insist on building things right even if it takes a few weeks more.

and

We believe in beautifully crafted products that grow and evolve from an incredible community of developers, partners, and enterprises who provide us with meaningful feedback that we can act on to build and improve.

Things we wish the Green company would aspire to.

2 Likes

The green company claims doing the first, but are definitely ignoring the latter. But w/o the latter the first one won’t work.

Lately they might claim the first but I’m not so sure

Guess we’ll see once a debugger is pointed at their latest revision of the System.Version code to see if they re still parsing the string - which they shouldnt be

Mojo is now available for the Mac.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2023/10/19/mojo-for-mac/

thx,
!! site look like it was made in the nineties…
this is meant to be the future ?

Well there you go … ugly web site means crap technology that shouldn’t even be considered. Saved me a lot of time! Thanks!

3 Likes

The Mojo site seems pretty modern to me.

1 Like

I bet Dalu is talking about mjtsai.com (the blog article you posted) instead of modular.com the home of Mojo.

2 Likes

VERY
Its the next thing the guy who invented LLVM & swift moved on to
Basically trying to take language es used in AI, like python, and speed them WAY WAY WAY UP

2 Likes

Yep, the link needs to be corrected.

That would make some kind of sense.

I’m just including the source of the news, which happens to be Michael’s blog. I would highly recommend following his blog if you’re at all interested in Mac development.

3 Likes

The blog is indeed interesting.

The Mojo website itself is very up to date and comprehensive.

I have long been attracted to Python, syntactically speaking and for the extensive libs, but never seriously looked at it due to built in performance limitations. Once Python 3 settled in and became the default, were it not for that, I would have given it some serious attention.

Mojo is rapidly breaking down that resistance, particularly with having accomplished the feat of making Mojo compatible with random Python libs.

Still, Mojo’s “happy path” is more for building command line and data crunching tools – understandably, since it came out of the AI world – but when I start seeing a significant community of adopters outside of AI, especially in web, mobile and desktop development, it will get interesting for me. Almost there, I suspect … if indiscriminate library use is truly a reality it is only a matter of time.

1 Like