Man; I wish I knew this many years ago

Learn more unix/ linux :wink:

Personally I am using pandoc in combination with Tex templates for my PDF-workflow generating automatically PDF from my articles, papers and concepts. (Sample-PDF)

It’s kinda swiss army knife converting back and forth between all types of markdown-/ script-/ text-formats. BSDs’ man-format is included aswell.

For many years I am not using any text-processor. Just simple markdown (in combination with mermaid) and I have the true confidence, that in 30 years everything is still use- and readable.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with what Christian is doing. He promotes his software whenever he can. The reader/user is free to decide whether to use his software or not.

1 Like

That’s very true, similar to SPAM. But we all know that his kind of promotion “promoting whenever you can” has no to little effect, unless you are a very big brand (think Coke etc.) and you want to visible to the sub-conscience in every place on the planet.

But even those companies have learned that it isn’t as effective as they thought, one reason why they are now routing their money via influencers or any kind of less obvious or hidden advertisements.

It annoys me too leads to my heavy scrolling from day one in the Realbasic universe, especially as a monopolist doesn’t really need promotion. They are offering good products & support, every beginners know them, Xojo is often useless w/o them … and every user is referring to the plugins sooner or later, don’t see the benefit of the manufacturer making additional promotion on a forum. But yes, that’s me, not everyone will and has to agree.

He sometimes does so by promoting it where its specifically said “Hey I dont want plugins as suggestions”
Subsequently promotion them when EXPLICITLY asked not to is a breach of normal courtesy

And people have every right to say “Please dont” when they ask him not to

Common courtesy

4 Likes

Language bareers :wink: - But again, his choice, I can scroll faster as he can post. :slight_smile: - I just don’t think it has any measurable effect, or any positive effect at all. Put your product in your profile and help people is a better choice in my eyes.

For Ventura its now

pman() {
    mandoc -T pdf "$(/usr/bin/man -w $@)" | open -fa Preview
} 

haven’t tested Sonoma

2 Likes