Looking forward to the next macOS transition?

couldn’t agree more… moving my family over to PoP OS.

I used to be the ‘tech support guy’ for pretty much the entire family

Now they mostly just use their iPads and I never get a call (which is awesome)

Thats where Apple and most other vendors expects most of their users will be - on some kind of device like that
And they are. Phones and tablets outnumber desktops

So I can see why they’d want to transition to a more unified OS core and machines etc

But developers arent “average consumers” which is what a lot of this sort of stuff is aimed at
So until, unless, Xcode (or VS etc) runs on decently powerful hardware and can be used in much the same way we currently use our desktops and laptops I’d guess that Apple (and probably others) wont be too quick to abandon those form factors and architectures

Past experience is pretty much solely what I’m basing this on

1 Like

What’s that?

1 Like

Running iPad software on Macintosh computers without touch screens ?

Also, how can I discus about something I know so few / I cannot put my hands on now ?

My keyboard left arrow have troubles (does not works well) when Internet is on. Virus ?
Sometimes the cursor does not moves, sometimes it moves twice in a row… :frowning:

Or the browser has hijacked the normal behaviour using javascript
If you click to the Finder or something else does the left arrow key work again ?

System76 created PoP OS which is a derivative of Ubuntu PoPOS. Recently, just place an order with System76 for a new laptop and desktop (Intel-Nuc). Cant wait for it to be delivered this week :slight_smile:

Side Note: System76 is a hardware manufacture where they are dedicated to Linux being the primary OS. What I like about this is, I no longer have to search dell, hp, Lenovo, etc… to see which Distro runs best on it.

1 Like
1 Like

Not a fan of POP OS. My wife uses Elementary OS.

Rod,
You and I obviously do not know each other very well, and obviously our experiences have revealed different things to us. You must understand that I am very unhappy with what Apple has become, I don’t want Apple to go out of business, I want Apple to survive, but they’re making it hard for themselves as they focus on profit over pretty much everything else.

You did read the part saying that this program is only valid for 4 years from the initial purchase, right?

The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

Which means that I am SOL, and the cost to get this keyboard replaced is going to be $930 USD for me. So in (4 - years you’ve owned your MacBook Pro) you are also going to have to make a decision to spend a horrendous amount to replace a < $20 component or buy a new machine.

Different people will react differently to this decision, but most will leave with a bitter aftertaste, which damages Apple’s reputation and decreases the chance of customers continuing to purchase new Apple products in the future. You may decide that you’ll stick with Apple, but when you run into a similar decision next time, you’ll be less willing to spent an outrageous sum.

Unfortunately this statement is incorrect. Apple is concerned with speed races, just not for the Mac, why else would they spend so much R&D on making the iPhone the fastest phone? Apple has historically used faster components than their competitors even when they switched to Intel, Apple would buy up the latest Intel chips so that they could be the only ones selling the fastest computer for a period of time.

They also brag about performance in their Mac Pros, which is aimed at the video editing industry. The sad thing is, for those who’re able and considering to spend the vast amount of cash that Apple is asking, will also be considering spending the same amount with Apple’s competitors. The combination of AMD processors and NVIDIA GPUs significantly outperform Apple’s offerings, and Black Magic’s Resolve has been consistently optimized, to the point where it’s now faster than FCPX, and wayyyyyy faster on competitors products. An AMD CPU alone is equivalent to 1.5 the same cost Intel chip. With Apple spending zero more dollars they could improve the performance of their machines across the range by 1.5x. No software changes requires.

Performance is important in the Photo editing industry, another key market to the old Apple. Again competitors offer a far greater cost/performance ratio, not to mention mobile platforms that offer USB-A, SD card readers and direct pen input on the screen, with full versions of Adobe’s suite, not the cut down iPad apps.

Apple has flirted with gaming on and off over the last 30 odd years, 10 years ago when Apple offered the fastest laptop on the market, people were buying them to run Windows for gaming, it’s a bizarre reason, but none the less Apple were winning over Windows fans by having the best performing laptop with serious reliability. Not today.

Lastly the Graphic Design industry, whereby Adobe software is king, which runs faster on Apple’s competition, offers pen input on many devices against full blown apps (not cut down) and now the Taiwanese manufacturers are selling devices pre-calibrated to Pantone colors, so literally the colors you see on your device are the colors that are printed via CTP.

At this point, I’ve think we can agree to disagree.

Edit: “An AMD CPU alone is equivalent to 1.5 the same cost Intel chip” should read “An AMD CPU alone is equivalent 1.5x the performance of the same cost Intel chip.”

1 Like

that is the beauty about Linux… tons of different distros to find what works best for you unlike windows or OS X… where your limited to one option.

It’s also one of linux undoings and why “The Year Of The Linux Desktop” has been a running punchline in tech circles
There’s too many choices (seriously that is a thing)
And even the good choices are not great CONSUMER OSes
They are getting there but then which distro will win ? Until you get a plethora of vendors pushing the same one they are all still just fragmenting the already tiny linux desktop market for consumers into smaller pieces

In that regard Windows & MacOS are way more dominant on the desktop for now

1 Like

Agreed, Windows & MacOS is dominant; however, I think I am just over it. For me, windows server / ms sql is what I deal with for job related function while I do have a few Macs ,I use for personal use, I am just starting to lose interest in the these two platforms. You are also correct with the downside to having to many distros (reminds me early only when Android was coming to market and each manufacture had their own store). I feel that linux has matured enough where I could make it my daily driver knowing that there is always a distro for aging hardware, unlike Apple who is more than happy to sunset hardware for future OS release thus forcing you to upgrade or be left behind.

1 Like

There are Linux distros for Apple hardware as well :slight_smile:

For developers , or folks inclined that way, Linux works well.
But for the average consumer its still got rough spots.
Some of that is the ethos of Linux - dont like something fork it make your own distro whatever and so there are hundreds of variations
Things are coming to a few really dominant Linux distros and there are more vendors shipping distros preinstalled.

I saw somewhere that the T2 chip actively blocks some Linux distros on “modern” Apple hardware. Pretty sad if it’s true.

I really like Elementary but Xojo is unusable on it. Check out this little video (feedback case 59488):

If the IDE actually worked properly on Linux I’d give it a go.

Xojo is famous for “not being Linux friendly”. Linux is great for family because it’s harder for our relatives to get a computer virus. :laughing:

For IDE, I use MacOS and Windows, and I’m going “full Windows” now. I used to be “full time MacOS and Windows testing and adjusting”. Now I´ll be “full time Windows, and MacOS testing and adjusting” for a time, and later I intend to go “NO Mac products”.

1 Like

reminds me of a Dave Chappelle Skit

I would love to be able to do this; but all my apps use far too much Apple API. The easiest route for me, is to try to port my app to iPadOS as in theory this should mean that it’ll continue to work with the Mac and get iPad support for free.

Once things settle down a bit and I’m no longer spinning my wheels to stay stationary, I hoping I can start looking in Windows API to see how complicated it would be to provide x-plat.

Since Yosemite, I’ve received more and more e-mail from customers asking for a Windows version, as they too are moving away from Apple’s platforms.

Thanks Norman,
It would be great instead of asking you if you want all the stupid options on initial set-up if it would ask you the more serious questions like this.
I’d really like to see Apple offer a “Pro” version of the macOS, where we can easily disable all the useless junk that they run in the background of our machines, or enable proper computer sleeping, or even customize if we want the machine to run like pig or be the most performant.

I saw a video yesterday from a guy who speed tested his machine before and after upgrading to Catalina. As we know, it now does almost everything slower than before, Booting went from 20 seconds to 30 seconds, and there was me thinking back in 2012, we could boot machines from cold in 4 seconds.

I guess a majority of Apple’s customers who only use their machines for light tasks that could be done on an iPad, simply don’t care. The people like us who use their machines to make a living are kicked to the side.