Lianja making the Xojo claim: fact or fiction?

Oh the irony that it wasnt deliberate but still fit so well :stuck_out_tongue:

They state:

Your enhancement requests are important.
That’s what encourages product improvements.

Your sponsored features are important.
Anything is possible if you have a real need.

Your feedback is important.
Keep it coming.

In a NoCode capable tool, pro code is the hability to do it all with code… regular code in a Not NoCode capable tool

Sounds very much like LiveCode. because their apps are all runtime interpreted, they could very quickly and easily port to new and more targets. The downside is that their run-time capabilities were very limited.

1 Like

That sounds about right.

The C# support for example will not be interpreted but runtime compiled, to an in-memory assembly, according to my reading between the lines. I don’t know if you could build a .NET DLL with .NET tools and then call into it. My guess is it would probably take reflection to make that happen. Or put another way, it would be a PITA, be beyond the abilities of many .NET devs, and have some performance penalties as well.

Nothing says they have to use or support the latest version of the C# compiler, either.

They have an API they expose to all their supported languages but for example to get a grid you have something equivalent to / extended on top of the xBase BROWSE/EDIT commands, basically. That particular feature is surprisingly powerful and flexible but AFAIK there’s no way to extend or fine-tune it beyond the options they provide. I’m not even sure you can substitute subclassed controls inside it. So you’d always worry about the client asking you to do something that seems perfectly reasonable to them but is simply not possible within the constraints of the runtime engine.

1 Like

nothing says they exist tomorrow and then you are sitting on a closed source crap

2 Likes

Hi Bob, I’ll gladly answer any questions you have and clarify any inaccuracies.

You have two sites that should be able to provide details.

www.Lianja.com

Some example apps built that run on desktop, web, and mobile can be tried out at
www.lianjademo.com

You can build desktop apps and deploy them runtime royalty free in Lianja 9.

You can build these apps in such a way that they can be deployed into Lianja cloud and run in browsers, tablets and phones.

Lianja incorporates an enhanced list of VFP UI classes which can be used to develop custom apps if that’s what you want to do.

Lianja also supports chilkat.

Lianja supports NoCode, LowCode and ProCode development.

Lianja supports a number of scripting languages including LianjaScript (enhanced and extended VFP), Python, Javascript and typescript. The Lianja framework can be used by all of these scripting languages.

Lianja has a built-in high performance Rushmore powered database.

Develop on windows Linux or MacOS. Run on any of these as well as in the cloud.

If you have any further technical questions feel free to ask me.

3 Likes

There is a 30 day free trial.

Cloud subscriptions can be paid monthly.

See www.lianjacloud.com

Lianja 9 has extensive split grid editing support in both desktop and web/mobile apps.

You can see it in action at www.lianjademo.com which has smart grid and split grid examples running in the cloud.

Smart grids have support for custom cell renderers and custom cell editors.

Welcome @Barrymavin! Thank you for chiming in.

1 Like

Hahahaha woooow liana does to generate Mobile Apps and real Web Apps, it generates Cloud Service that delivers the Desktop App to the mobile and the web. That’s really not mobile.

For example: CodenameOne generates Android and IOS Apps from your App and is able to generate Webapps from it and is able to be complied as Desktop Application for all targets. That is what you claim but not deliver. What you deliver is: nothing what generates real mobile and that’s it. Man. I can’t understand that people in us can claim what they want to.

Good and nice link. Safari can’t find it with or without www in front. Please. Looks nice but provided Links should also work

Thanks for popping in and making that clear !

If that means what I understand from it then it is not the best choice…

Hi Barry,

You will find some VERY … shall we say, opinionated posters here evangelizing for their platform of choice, but I am very pleased that you noticed this conversation on a random site and are wading in. Because of my past in the xBase world, I’m naturally attracted to Lianja, it is just not a tool for building a headless API product which is consuming all my bandwidth right now, especially given that Sql Server and the MSFT stack is dictated by the client.

If I may ask … coming as I do from the perspective of someone building services, console apps, and desktop apps, and not so much building for web or mobile (yet), and having self-hosted DBs (so far), I tend to be fuzzy on where a product like Lianja Cloud fits into your ecosystem. In Lianja v9, if one builds a desktop app will there be native executables for Windows, Mac and/or Linux as needed, or must those rely on your cloud product in some way? If I built an app for say Windows and provided a connection string to a local DB, would I need nothing else to distribute a solution?

When it comes especially to macOS, do Lianja apps meet the requirements for their app store?

Thanks

–Bob

What I will never understand on IfnotNil: everybody runs after a Low Code / No Code Platform. Is not helping to build good Applications and will never help. Will help for people without any knowledge. But all of the people telling me: I am programmer. So I have to day. Sorry for that but No Code and Low Code users are everything but programmers.

This Solution is nothing professional at all. And I am not evangelizing for my Platform Sir. I was not even mentioning my Platform. Why? While I have more than one platform. Java, C++, C and even Rust. So what platform you mean I am evangelizing? Or is it so that you only wanted to say something?

I have no and had never a problem with critics. But what I can’t stand is that people like you writing like you have done to negotiate truths to build up an alternative reality.

And so let’s start again and again.

• Go is not for Desktop available.
  • swift only for MacOS really usable
  • Python is a Scripting Language. The Compilers are running rudimentary and not complete for all features

and this List could be much longer. It ends up with: People which want fto write cross Platform for C# are kicked in the ass cause it is not available.

And now what I am always speaking about: the perspective of the paying Xojo customer with a pro license: he could have with the favorited Language all platforms. But, what ever, you really believe that you can say : hey Stueker is stupid and I will accept wordless?

This platform is loosing all control of professional discussions about programming. and it lost also all contacts to reality. This platform you try to lift above Java is nothing but a money making machine from the moment on you need a Cloud Server. Look on the amount of concurrent users? You are really joking?

I can live with people having no Idea. But you say that you are fully professional programmer. So please: reduce that what you say about me to the correct and true facts and not to the momentum you need for being in a good discussion point.

Thank you.

1 Like

I disagree. That would be like saying back in the mid 1950s that COBOL isn’t helping build good Applications and you need something muscular and flexible like assembler.

Developers have been working at higher and higher levels of abstraction over time (Java’s garbage collector vs C++ manual memory management for example, or C++ classes over pure C). Development is always a question of finding the right abstraction (and the right level of abstraction) for the problem at hand, both in the moment and over time.

For line-of-business apps back in the 1990s (which was basically just desktop deployments as far as end users were concerned) I found FoxPro to be a good balance. When Microsoft “embraced and extended” (in other words, murdered) FoxPro from about 1993 to 1997, with the final bum’s rush being just after the year 2000, I was unhappy about the death of 4GL concepts and their failure to make the leap to web development, but I figured, hey, if people are willing to pay me twice as much to be half as productive, who am I to complain, right? And so I went for various practical reasons with the nascent .NET stack. I could just as well have done Java, with about the same results.

Now Lianja (for example) comes along trying to extend / resurrect the 4GL concept in both the direction of the web / mobile deployments and in the direction of “citizen development” while presumably not neglecting pro development too much – I’m inclined to learn more about it. Given that I’m on about a 2 year trajectory with this new gig and likely will pull back from full time after that, its unclear whether I will end up using something like Lianja as a vehicle for semi-retirement, but I think there are worse fates than helping casual / departmental folks polish up turds they have produced [shrug].

Everyone’s different. Like you, I have certain non-negotiables, but probably just different ones.

I have not said you are stupid and didn’t even have you specifically in mind when I said that many of us here are opinionated about our platform of choice. Barry is devoted enough to his product to come here and answer questions about it, let those who want to entertain what he has to say do so, without disparaging him, that’s all. If Lianja doesn’t interest you, no one is holding a gun to your head; don’t participate.

I felt like it and not me alone. Read what you wrote. And speaking about that platform to compare it with the history and even c++ and java…there is a big difference. All high level pro languages are: open source. If it isn’t open source: crap. So simple. And if a webapp has no chance than running in their servers it’s even worse than Xojo. Think about. It is a crap product using no professional way of distribution and gives one chance: paying 100 bucks per month for 10 concurrent users. Man. Idiotical discussion

I guess it really depends on who they are targeting

Based no the statement of their goals this probably is attractive to a certain segment

But, thats not you
Same as Xojo
They are targeting a certain kind of user/developer - but thats not you

Do you need Java’s verbosity and ugly syntax to make you feel properly clever?

Yes… an absolutely fantastic scripting language. No wonder so much work is now going into making Python a compiled language too.

I thought you had some sort of problem with being called stupid? I guess you’re fine, though, with labeling a discussion as beneath you and idiotic (the correct word BTW). Beneath you, and yet you engage in it anyway. Funny how that works.

$10/month/user is idiotic or not depending on what you’re comparing it to. I suppose you could put up a linux web server on one of those $10/month sever farms that would service a couple hundred users (depending on what they are doing and what throughput you need) but then you’d have to manage those servers, etc. It all comes down to TCO and your desire to get into the arcana of server provisioning and management yourself.

If you want to put together an app and press a button and have it Just Work on the platform(s) you require with no further effort, Lianja’s cloud rates might be entirely reasonable. Or might not. It admittedly does feel like a nickel-and-dime situation – death by a thousand cuts.

I have never seen open source as all sweetness and light and proprietary as all dystopian hellscape. There are strengths and weaknesses to both. I don’t mind proprietary if it’s stable and doesn’t have ridiculous levels of lock-in, plays nice in the sandbox with standards, they don’t try to blame every bug on unapproved integrations, etc.