Letter to Geoff

i have not idea who is it … i always though it was Marco Bambini

I think that was Will Leshner

EDIT : yup

1 Like

Yes, Will Leshner. Thanks Norman. I was getting ready to concede that my old brain got it wrong.

must before my time with RB… i have not idea Will Leshner was the principal of SQLabs… i always though it was Marco Bambini

I’ve been around “forever” literally - when it comes to CrossBasic, REALbasic, Xojo :slight_smile:

Have used it since BEFORE REAL Software existed

1 Like

I don’t go back that far. RB5.0 was my first paid version. I played with an earlier version that came in a magazine (Macworld maybe). Could have been 3.0-ish.

Regarding bugs, I have to say that RB5.5.5 was probably my most bug free experience.

i start RealBasic using back in 2005…move on to RealStudio and then Xojo.
So what version of RealBasic is it back in 2005??

realbasic 2005 !

depends on what point in the year you talk about but that year version 5.5 and 2005 were both available
5.5 was the last of the IDE’s written in C++
2005 was the first one written in RB available in about Jun 2005

1st July 2005 is when we bought it

Trying to steer things back on topic

On “that other forum” some one mentioned that Geoff had reached out to them to discuss issues with moving up to 2020r1

Has anyone here had such a contact ?

Reason I ask is whether they are reaching out to “friends and family” only or ???

His way of summing up open tickets to calculate user’s permission to feel unhappy gave me the impression the answer is NOT (or ???).
BTW, @MonkeybreadSoftware: Thanks for offering your help again! I know it’s not the first time, I know Thomas Tempelmann did so too in the past, and with the company being so undermanned in terms of engineers, I hope the response will be a different one this time.
Hope dies last …

I do like that @MonkeybreadSoftware (Christian) keeps offering up to help. It is a nice gesture which keeps getting ignored (sort of “get out of my kitchen”), and I remember how TT also tried this years back and got shunned for that. But the experiences on this thread and the one for the “other release system” on the other forum sort of summarize everything. Past behavior is a great indicator of future behavior. I am not a “real” user of the product, but I’ve been using it for some 10yrs now. It is a super cool concept and I like it, not as much because of the slowness in every single new IDE release, but still like it. But if I had to make my living off of it, I know I would be throwing fits. Seeing so many helpful users leave because their needs are simply being ignored is very sad. Not to say that the ones still left are not helpful, but if we truly were to measure the help these experienced users provide based on statistics of meaningful responses leading to a solution, one could conclude that the last Elvis left the building. So when I started I would talk to anyone that cared about RS and Xojo. Now (starting about 3yrs ago) if they see an app I developed and ask, I say nothing. Nothing will change, there is a lot of damage control on the other site for PR purposes but it keeps falling flat on its face. Like telling one super heavy user he only has a few open cases and then the user has to remind the CEO that he has over 500 pending cases still and he needs to only know where to look - that’s right the user had to tell the CEO how to look at the cases because apparently the system is so obscure that the information just didn’t pop. Again, nice tool but I do not recommend it to anyone who asks me (won’t steer them away from it either - just won’t recommend it).

let me take look into my bookshelf … REALbasic it was :wink:

Should I mention, that this shelf is the one for abandoned technologies?

1 Like

The only REALbasic book that I ever found worth buying (and I bought them all) was “REALbasic - The definitive guide” … but boy, was is worth it. Made up for all the rest combined.

Correction: Aaron’s “Ramblings on REALbasic” was excellent too!

5 Likes

Agreed on both books. IMO those were the only good Xojo books available.

I had started a Xojo Database Applications book but frankly it’s too much work and not enough (zero?) payback for doing all that work. Just like with the videos it would obsolete by the time I got it done. :frowning:

2 Likes

I didn’t get AB’s book but I always greatly enjoyed his blog posts on Rb

from ‘the other forum’

After 22 years?! Sorry, I don’t consider Xojo being a startup anymore and should’ve outgrown these ‘pains’ a very long time ago…

If I remember correct, he wrote a framework around the Windows API calls that I used A LOT in my RB2007 years.

1 Like

Possibly rather a disoriented young adult struggling with his career decision.

The Windows Functionality Suite.