Known Open Xojo Bugs

yeah yeah we all know that, what’s your point ?
windows is bigger than mac os, so what ?

if people still use RAD in 2021 because they have technical and economical reasons to.

There is reasons why we don’t use C++ to make custom apps

But there is no reason selling such bad quality

For our company “slow” is, although not a bug, certainly a showstopper. We mainly write PWA’s nowadays. Offline PWAs are not possible in Xojo, but I did have a good look at Web 2.0 in case being able to work offline was not a requirement for some of our clients as we did have a vast library of logic Xojo code we hoped to be able to re-use. Unfortunately, Web 2.0 is far from ready for larger web projects.

Xojo’s Web framework design is flawed (mostly their event system) and is way to slow to satisfy our clients. First-loading times are terrible (loading lots of stuff that is never used in the final WebApp) and caching is hardly fully implemented.

These are things Xojo CAN fix. Mike D on TOF showed with FastStart it is possible in Xojo, and his implementation should be general knowledge for someone who writes WebApps. It should’ve been build in stock Web 2.0 from the very first release. I sometimes seriously doubt Xojo has enough in-house knowledge/experience on WebApps (and iOS/Android for that matter). Having to restart from scratch three or four times on the Android framework (Geoffs words) should’ve been an eye opener. As said before, they should’ve sticked with desktop only. They used to be great a that, nowadays they are just mediocre.

Do we have bugs in our software? Yes, but very few of them ever reach the end-user. We do extensive testing (almost 30% of the total development time). And if one does come up in a released version, they are almost always fixed withing 24 hours. With our current IDE (B4X) we get a similar courtesy from its developers. That alone is a breath of fresh air compared with Xojo’s bug fix quality.

B4X is RAD and very much alive. The user base is many times the one from Xojo. Having a Mac/Linux IDE will not dramatically increase that number IMHO and if it would force the current IDE to take steps back to support them, I rather they don’t. Anywhere Software has investment injections from a large company since a couple of years now, which did even allow them to make their showpiece B4A (Android) completely free.

Looking at the lists of bugs in an other topic on this forum (from only 2 users I believe?), it must be overwhelming for the Xojo engineers to start fixing them. I do feel their pain and I understand the pressure they are on to release new stuff. iOS and Web have not brought them the success they’ve hoped for. Android won’t either. It is a decade of neglecting bugs (due to being understaffed? Company culture?) that brought on their problems in the first place.

2 Likes

@npalardy, do you still keep tabs on confirmed, unfixed bugs? The public issues list looks like a rising tide :ocean:

Sure do

Since this post
When I wrote that there were

• 6960 open reports
  • 31924 closed (38884 in total)
  • average of 7.6 new reports per day
  • 2276 open bugs
  • 26054 closed

Today

• 7105 open reports
  • 32607 closed (38884 in total)
  • average of 7.51 new reports per day
  • 2298 open bugs
  • 26489 closed
    Of note it appears that they have ceased marking anything ANDROID related as bugs regardless
    When I checked there were 105 Android reports and only 6 marked as bugs despite there being numerous that probably should be (like one titled Android - Compiler error with Timer.CallLater #74749
    There are many like that
1 Like