Java Platform Update

I was working in the mortgage industry which one would think is fairly regulated and no one ever brought up ISO; the only concern seemed to be customer privacy and various lending laws. Deployment / DevOps seemed more the province of senior devs but it bled through to all of us at times.

I certainly agree that a company that has to conform to ISO will have a stricter process and separation of responsibilities, though there is still probably a gap between what is presented to auditors and what is really adhered to.

In the credit industry one hears more about ISO on the consumer side of things but since commercial side doesn’t deal with personally identifiable info I just feed a deployment pipeline that releases everything that will compile every night at 8 pm Eastern and so one could argue I’m deploying. Though I didn’t write the deployment pipeline scripts, I can override the pipeline in an emergency and force a deployment. I have full control over testing and staging and substantial control over deployment.

I’m not arguing with your points, just saying that in practice, in many industries and scenarios, there’s a divergence from theory. Should there be? IDK. I have mixed feelings about it. The worship of Process gets in the way of getting things done and responsiveness to customers more often than not, I’d argue, but corporate IT is often all about risk mitigation, not excellence.

I always wondered if the full-stack-expert-of-all-technologies really exists or if it is just a dream of senior execs and hr people.

The banking industry is a different animal. TheY have their own rules.

Young people think you’re a chump if you’re not changing jobs every couple of years (and in the current climate they are arguably correct). So what happens, I think, is you get hired on, there is a window of several months where you’re learning the particular technology mix and practices and the code base and the particular political climate and flavor of agile religion in force. Then about the time you need to start really demonstrating mastery and competence, it’s time to move on; some headhunter offers you a 20% step up in pay someplace else. I think over time you get a lot of exposure and some muscle memory of various things but it’s debatable what sort of deep competence can really evolve in that scenario.

I am not dissing young people; they are just trying to survive amidst the systemic problems of what one might term catabolic capitalism and the chasing of the Latest Greatest Thing for its own sake. Companies play Buzzword Bingo, make midstream changes because some empty suit read about some methodology or technology in a magazine, things are constantly disturbed by merger & acquisition activity, excessive risk aversion makes real innovation often impossible, etc., etc.

So to answer your question, yes, full stack is something of an HR wet dream and the depressing thing about it is when you’re competing with others you know the job description is BS and everyone else is spouting BS to get the BS job and so you have to play along with that.

My favorite personal story is an ad I saw in 2004 wanting 10 years of experience in .NET – a technology introduced a mere 2 or 3 years prior.

That‘s a good one! :smile:

Found this story of a 4-year full stack single dev project:
https://betterprogramming.pub/how-i-built-a-social-network-in-4-years-as-a-solo-developer-4af70fb2d4c8

1 Like