Java & B4J Questions

@npalardy NSBasic is still kicking and appears to be slowly moving away from ‘Basic’, since they’re known simply as NSB and their product is called AppStudio. The Basic language is essentially just a wrapper for Javascript since its so wicked fast (in browsers). AppStudio is a bit of niche product, but there is a nice video tutorial series by this fellow on Youtube. I believe they generate most of their revenue through VoltBuilder. :nerd_face:

@SteveW Thank you for sharing your implementation of OOP in PureBasic! Although I haven’t gotten that far with PureBasic, I was aware that some have implemented OOP concepts. I’m also aware that the creator of PureBasic is adamantly not for OOP and they even mention it to some degree on their SpiderBasic website and in the forums: “SpiderBasic is not object oriented because we do believe that object oriented programs are hard to maintain, but we provide flexible namespace support and many other features.”:

Even with that said, some have still implemented OOP in PureBasic. I’ve bookmarked this article from 2005 which gives a great overview. And also since I know French, I purchased this course on Udemy: PureBasic Programmation Objet. The acronym for OOP in French is POO which makes us Anglophones chuckle. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2021-12-19 12_54_46-Window

@chikega Thanks! but my list was not meant to be a complete or exhaustive list, but just the briefest of Google searches, just to point out too ‘thorstenstueker’ that Swift was not just for Apple platforms, and did also have some early stage UI implementations available.

The ‘Elements Silver’ tool looks like the most complete product, but is pricey for the non professional.

Regards Mark

@MarkFX Elements Silver is free

I’ve been following the development of TwinBasic and RADBasic since they’re both new Basic language implementations. I’ve played with TwinBasic earlier this year. Its integration with Visual Studio Code is pretty cool. It looks like the cross-platform ability will be relegated to their Ultimate version which will run about $52 USD/month which may be worth it for those that need that ability.

Yeah my bad, I was looking at the full Elements packages.
Although I don’t need any packages for my own Swift projects, as I only code for the Apple platforms these days, although I was considering a Linux system, but just a thought at this stage.
The whole point of my list on multi platform Swift, was purely to point out to ‘thorstenstueker’, that Swift was not just an Apple platform language, of which he was saying it was.
And also that Norman had asked about cross platform Swift GUI tools, of which the Elements Silver product would seem to be one of the best at the moment.

1 Like

I just completed my first GUI based purebasic app… the GUI builder is very primitive and I would not want to build a complicated app with it. But, I was able to compile the app into a single executable file on OSX and its only 511k in size. It would only be slightly larger to create a proper app bundle for it.

But overall, I am starting to develop a liking for Purebasic. I love how its so small and fast. Right now the IDE is running on my MB pro and its only using 146MB of memory! Its not perfect, of course, but for small apps and especially command line utilities it is very good.

1 Like

So as far as I can see nothing usable for production now. Will cost a few years.

But RemObjects implementation does not have any IDE that will allow a developer to build the UI visually just like Delphi or VB or B4J.

I own a very powerful and descent product called XeroCoder. But, but unfortunately it just stopped after its partners split up. But it was the best thing that could happen to cross platform development in those days.

XeroCoder had a very unique locking feature where in when we start the IDE it will verify the locking on its license server but as I said above due to partners splitting the license verification server closed down and now the tool is not usable except for demo purposes.

I just received a new update email regarding TwinBasic.

For those interested please check: twinBASIC Update: December 19, 2021

1 Like

@YogiYang REMObjects’ whole raison d’être is cross-platform development. The Elements Compiler is integrated into Visual Studio. They include a variety of cross-platform sample projects in the various languages they support. The example in the pic below demonstrates REMObject’s implementation of C# targeting a variety of platforms (eg. Android, iOS, OSX …).

A CrossBox Server is used to facilitate building and debugging Elements projects on operating systems other than that used by the developer. For example, a developer working on Windows might want to debug a Mac or Linux app, or a developer working in Fire on Mac might want to run an application on a Windows or Linux host for debugging.

Anywhere Software’s B4i (Win only) also has a similar implementation offering a remote server (for a modest fee) in order to develop for the Mac platform. But unlike AnyWhere Software, REMObjects has a Mac app called Fire that works alongside XCode (but is not integrated as it is in Visual Studio).

No, Anywhere Software compiles inside of Xcode with a builded up Xcode project. Clean and nice. As far as I can say: it works like a charm for IOS, for Android, for Desktop and in a short time with XalteaFX also as Desktop Application directly converted to Web like Xojo apps are. Only point is: IDE only on Windows, so only available on macOS via Parallels but also on Mac M1 CPU with all functionality. So Development with B4J is working from Mac with a virtual machine behind. Parallels offers windows 11 install directly.

1 Like

@thorstenstueker thank you for sharing, but I don’t think I said anything to the contrary of what you listed. I think Erel has a very good product, I have B4X products including B4i (paid) as well as Parallels. I believe we’re saying the same thing. My point simply was that B4X has no native Mac applications. So, it’s necessary to either have a Mac on hand or use Erel’s server service (from a PC) if one doesn’t have access to a Mac computer. But I agree, since B4X products are extremely lean, it works well in a virtual machine.

I installed it with parallels, Liberica jvm with Jfx on m1. B4i Build server on Mac local Running with simulator

1 Like

@chikega ,

You are right that we can use Elements Compiler with VS. But the free version comes with its own IDE if I understand it correctly. Will the free version of Elements Compiler work with community edition of VS?

Yes, absolutely. :+1:

@YogiYang, I use both VS 2019 and 2022 Community Editions. The REMObjects Elements installer will give you the option of installing in either or both versions of VS. Just be prepared to download new version weekly! :nerd_face:
ElementsCompiler

1 Like