Is it possible to avoid keeping info.plist files around?

@thommcgrath @samRowlands @Stretch327

Please DO not forget the a plist IS JUST an XML file - albeit some key value entries mean special things to the OS but you CAN put ANY valid XML in there you want
Whether you use plistbuddy or any other mechanism isn’t really the issue

The capabilities editor is for a fairly FIXED portion of the plist - it makes it simple to have a easy to use editor

Since you can add your OWN app defined keys to the plist - with ANY valid XML structure uyou need a nice generic xml editor to handle that “anything”
Writing an editor to handle ANY valid XML is not something I ever wanted to do - which is why the info.plist mechanism IS the way it is

OR you just dumb it right down and do it dead simple and then tick off people who insert more than the basics

Unless it’s a binary plist file, in which case it isn’t an XML file AFAIK. It’s some sort of closed format.with the magic marker bplist.

Apple are also particular about which format is used where. You can (may have changed now) use a binary plist as a info.plist file and it works, but at one time your app was rejected from the App Store with a cryptic message. So App Wrapper ensures these are in XML format.

Edit: I would still recommend using a tool which uses API to edit plist files, just Incase you need to edit one that isn’t XML based. It’s really easy with API as it simply returns a NSDictionary, regardless of the format, but allows format specification on writing to disk.

True bu plutil can convert an XML one to binary

plistbuddy is apple recommendation I believe
Or Xcodes editor