iCloud & NoSync

@JeffT

iCloud is a powerful utility that allows users to sync files across multiple devices. However, sometimes users may want to prevent certain files or folders from syncing. Apple has a blacklist of file names and extensions that users should avoid using in their iCloud Drive. Adding the extension .nosync to a file is a simple way to prevent iCloud from syncing that file. This technique is useful for selective syncing. However, adding the same extension to a folder will not prevent iCloud from syncing its contents. The only way to prevent an entire folder from syncing is to name it tmp or end it with .tmp.

1 Like

Cheers… I did find that , but was hoping for a ‘file inside the folder’ solution - I felt sure there was something.
It’s incredible that one cannot just exclude a folder using Finder.
Apple presumably want everyone to buy storage.

Retrospectively, this makes implementing for my existing customers a little problematic
I have ‘folderx’ in documents, and would need to switch to ‘folderx.tmp’
I wonder/worry if renaming at next update would cause any issues… iCloud once removed all my documents and lost me months of work when I tried to turn it off .

How the default for that is ‘wipe the drive’ rather than ‘pull down as much data as you can before turning off’ is beyond me, (and beyond stupid)

I would agree that iCloud Sync is perhaps too simplistic in its usage
No simple way to say “dont sync now” is a real problem esp if you happen to be tethered to a cellular connection & have data caps
As well as other issues that many have noted elsewhere

Have you tried setting this property on the file?

Now thats interesting. File based, not folder based?
Again, conflicting info exists online - I see some pages that say
‘It doesnt work’, some that say ‘Apple says never use it on user documents’
and this one which more less says the opposite:

To me, backup wouldn’t have included iCloud (mis)management - it feels more like the archived flag in Windows.
It’s worth a try.

I don’t know, I’ve never used it. However the article you link to suggests that it can be used for both.

Don’t know about the Windows flag.

Yeah, I’m sorry I can’t tell you if it is going to work or not as I’ve never used it, I only recall seeing it when exploring the URLResourceKeys.