How many releases for Xojo 2021?

In 2018, there was 4 major releases,
In 2019, they were 3,
In 2020, they were 2…

Guess how many releases there could be in 2021 ?

my guess is 3.

Let Geoff surprise us!

1 would seem to be the next number in the progression
Lets hope its more than that

Just doing releases that are nothing more than bug fixes WOULD let them put out as many as they wanted as the drive to always have some new feature in every release wouldnt be the driver any longer

They could put out a new “release” every time there is a pile of bugs fixed they want to get out

3 Likes

I like to bet on a setup like this and we may come back end of year to discuss the final results.

But how about a 2021r1 with bug fixes, a 2021r2 with Android beta and a 2021r3 with something more useable with Android in fall.
And I really hope for some Web 2.x improvements to bring back some of the missing stuff from Web 1 to make conversion possible.

2 Likes

1 good release would be great, but now I totally wasted a full years pro licence when 19r1 came out I actually don’t think it’s possible they can release anything worth a shit for more than a year, if they do nothing other than make what’s there now usable.

screwed by deleting web1, screwed by making web2, screwed by API2, etc, overall, release a version of 19r1 that has none of the crazy alpha stuff it has now, just fix 1000 of the existing bugs, encourage geoff to retire.

what would constitute a good release, that’s an answer, oh I forgot, remove any android code totally from the whole package as that will be more dilution of an already pathetically weak offering.

I want my money back for a completely destroyed year, or a year more of ‘updates’.

yes I am pissed off at the way anyone can sell recent xojo changes as positive and having no choice whatsoever about having to learn a new programming system just to make up for the trash dished out by xojo.

and no, you cant excuse anything xojo have done to make long term users so angry about the pile of crap offered for $700.

there you go, at least I won’t get banned for having an opinion or being a little bit off topic, so to be on topic.

Answer:-
2 releases, both of which will be a waste of everyones time.

come back in 2 years, 3 years etc, it will be the same, regardless of hoping it will not.

6 Likes

Well we’re already in the 2nd quarter with no new version in sight. The Timeframe for maximum 2 major releases is already set.

The Answer: 2

And regarding Web 2,0! Please! I’ve had to use node.js recently for some Webhooks Stuff… and still I am washing my hands.

3 cause they are ready when it runs out of alpha stadium like 2020

July 2nd, and we still are at 1 release in 2021.

But things may improves (next Wednesday ?).

Recall they no longer promise 90 day release or even quarterly releases.
You get what ever releases they ship each yer.
That could be none, one, or more.

Guess we’ll see wont we ?

Recall they no longer promise 90 day release or even quarterly releases.
You get what ever releases they ship each yer.
That could be none, one, or more.

Which is one reason why I have not renewed my license. Didn’t like it when we got one release and it was all Web 2.0 and virtually nothing for desktop users. So now, I will renew if/when they produce or fix something that I want or need.

I do, however, keep my MBS plugins up to date. Can’t live without them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When there was a 50% discount for a renewal it made some sense to renew
With the way the pricing has changed there’s no advantage to “renewing” any more
Renewals are the same price as a new license
Just buy a brand new license when you need it and skip any ones in between you dont

2 Likes

haha, ‘improves’ nope, different new stuff, old stuff not changed.
I suspect…

If you dont keep your licence up to date allways, you are going to miss the new and exiting bugs of each realese!

1 Like

haha, very true.

This is so true for me. There were several releases that I renewed and never used (as in, didn’t use Xojo the entire year). Things got hectic at the day job. Now I just grab what I need when I need it which turns out to not be much at all. Currently just a desktop license.

yeah I dunno what they do and do not track about renewals
I know I’d be asking questions like

• how many licenses downgraded when renewed ?
  • how many upgraded ?
  • how many didnt renew at all ?
    and all kinds of follow ons starting with “why?” after every one of them

maybe they do ?
I only know of ONE person who said they got asked why they didnt renew when their license expired

This slowing down of releases makes my post about point updates even more relevant.

https://thezaz.com/blog/xojos_user_confidence_problem

1 Like

If Xojo could fix the quality issues and get bugs under control then Xojo could stop banning people and deleting posts from the forums.

It really just comes down to this.

2 Likes

Indeed
Things did change a bit and there are more branches used than before instead of just stable and dev

They used to promise 90 day releases
Then quarterly
Now ?
I dont think there is any commitment beyond “what gets released in the next 12 months” when you buy a license

I wont claim to know HOW they fix the issues surrounding the rapid release model.
But they definitely exist

Monthly bug fix releases would be reasonable (even if only a few bugs were fixed) and would go a long way to making many feel better about Xojo (as long as those fixes don’t introduce new bugs)

And If releasing that often takes too much effort, then I think they need to automate more of the packaging for the release process. It would be time well spent IMO …

Also promising monthly bug fix only release updates (for months when there is no feature release) would help ensure that bugs get a bit more priority so there is something to release every month to support what then would also be a marketing point!

Multiple branches do no good for bug fixes when time between monolithic releases can be so variable and these often very long and new features often not broadly focused across the platforms/OSes supported…

Besides no longer having the 50% discount for renewal that fact is a BIG reason why it does not make sense to many financially to keep a current license.

Monthly bug fix only releases that span across all the various platforms could change that customer calculation. Then they would feel that are just about guaranteed (or at least more likely) to get something useful during the renewal time.

2 Likes