Has anyone ever been asked?

Maybe search engines help a little :sweat_smile:

Seems Norman was right - asking if they have asked users why they left is unwanted.

1 Like

Ah instead of killing it right away they just waited until it scrolled down the list then nuked it !
It was at https://forum.xojo.com/t/has-anyone-ever-been-asked-why-they-left-xojo/56034

1 Like

Allegedly it was flagged by the “community”. Didn’t say which community but I can guess … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sure it was
the MVPolice in action I suspect

1 Like

In Xojo parlance that is the MVP and/or Xojo Mgmt…

In a way I’m more sad that indeed Xojo lived down to really low expectations and removed the post which really didnt ask anything nasty or proprietary

but …

1 Like

The always said they did not like the NUG because they did not have enough control over it…

1 Like

which is screwy since they could have censored it as much as anything

Because the NUG was an Email list they could not retro-moderate it. Once an Email was sent, of course there was no way to delete it from everyone’s inbox… Best they could do was delete from their archive, but others were keeping public archives of it as well (which googling would turn up).

-Karen

The nug went through a mail server they controlled and they could have moderated the emails that came in and removed them or refused to send them to members
I think it used mailman or something similar where they could approve / reject everything that got sent
This would have been a LOT of work - which I doubt they wanted to undertake

If people emailed each other directly they had no control

1 Like

That was my point… It would have been a lot harder to moderate a mailing list than a forum. It was not practical for the NUG.

That said, I have to say I found the signal to noise ratio on the NUG to have been better than any iteration of the RB/RS/Xojo forum in it’s heyday IMO.

It feels like something has been lost over the years.

-Karen

Now my memory might be fuzzy, but wasn’t the original forum a pet project by Aaron and IIRC it didn’t go over very well initially? Somewhere along the lines the Xojo folks made it the preferred communication platform, maybe because of the control and moderation capabilities as mentioned above, and here we are.

Boy those were the days back when the NUG was around and everything was mostly email based. I’m with you @Karen in that I feel like the signal to noise ratio was definitely better with the NUG with far less politics and turmoil. Of course it wasn’t very easy to casually follow along unless if you kept digging into the web archives. But maybe this was just enough of a hurdle for only the very serious to join?

A ton of experienced users maybe ?
The list is depressingly long

Something like that yes

And by killing the nug they also lost a certain segment of “complainers” who wouldnt switch to the forums
And they were trying to make it so all Xojo related stuff was in one place
I dont think moderation etc were the goals but that has proven to be useful for their purposes to try & control the message about the product (with varying degrees of success because of sites like this one)

Possibly as well
Forums also seem to cater to the “quick ask a question get a reply” mentality as well in the same way twitter and other social media does
There seems to have been a lot more ask first & read the documentation later, if ever, kinds of questions since things moved to being all on the forums
And so many are already answered in a forum post or in the docs

1 Like

On the other side of the coin, someone set up a Facebook group for users of MY software. And I can tell you, the prospect is pretty scary. I do monitor it, and the number of ill-informed statements that show up…
Luckily, the place is generally positive. Most people use terms like ‘I Love This’ rather than ‘grr’
But if I had full control of the page, the temptation to mute dissent would be great…

1 Like

Oh sure I get that just shutting that down seems like a thing to do
But wouldn’t addressing the concerns that are expressed serve everyone better ?
Those critics might turn into advocates, or at least be less critical, maybe ?

My old marketing boss saw everything as an opportunity to move someone towards being a supporter and while not everyone gets there it certainly moved a lot of people
I dont think any company ever gets 100% of its users there; but the effort seems to me, in my experience, to be worthwhile.

1 Like

Xojo has a lot of experience doing the oposite :rofl:

Xojo had the oportunity to be huge, but their short sighted desitions have droved away many good advocates.

As Alain Bailleul said in his blog (Xojo – Alwaysbusy's Corner)

“… But because of Xojos decision a couple of years ago to start using a new syntax framework, most of these projects won’t work anymore without a major overhaul. So I feel it is time to let them go. I recently noticed Xojo had removed this blog from their resource list too, so they must’ve had the same feeling. Honestly, no hard feelings about that! I would too when a blog doesn’t write anything on me anymore.

But what is there currently to write about Xojo? The Web part hasn’t changed in many years and still looks like it is 1995. iOS still feels like it is only partly finished and is missing to many out-of-the-box features to be useful (will the new upcoming android suffer from the same problem?). Should I write about the many bugs and workarounds one has to do? …”

And here we are some years later, did Xojo learn from its mistakes that drove many away? NO, they did the same again, yet another languaje change with no significant improvements in functionality.

It is not necesary to be asked by Xojo, many have reached them, they just dont care about what people want.

Now API 2.0 dont even recognize the MsgBox keyword, for now that is true for Web2.0, maybe will be for android, the next iOS and one day, maybe even in the “dektop2.0” when they introduce the new Api2 only clases. If I have to learn a new laguaje, maybe it is time to do it with another tool :pensive:

2 Likes

To confirm this simply read software reviews for example at MacUpdate.com. Dissatisfaction with an application arises when the application does not work as expected and the developer does not fix the problems.
When the developer of an application fixes reported bugs in timely manner and responds to user feedback fast and friendly the application gets very positive reviews.
Exceptional tech support turns users into advocates which also leads to new users: Prospective users decide which app to try/buy (if there are different options) based on those positive reviews.

1 Like

The number of fake 5star reviews on MacUpdate is mind-biggling.

And MacUpdate has been known to remove critical reviews (eg for Skype) when they were for advertisers.

Two disappeared UK persons:

Brian Jones (from the old NUG, internet) and Oliver Scott-Brown (joined in 2014, a youngster).