Flutter for Desktop Review (Link)

Review nicely summarizes my experience in looking at the state of Dart/Flutter for desktop development.

https://plei.one/blog/flutter-desktop-not-there-yet/

3 Likes

Interesting.

Have you checked out FlutterFlow? It is probably a better way to use Flutter and Dart productively.

And the post creator does not seem to have experimented with SKIA for building desktop apps.

I had seen it, but seems (like Flutter in general) to be mobile focused (I only do desktop work) and suffers the same fundamental limitations the Flutter has for desktop apps.

Flutter suffers in both: mobile and Desktop. The reason why it was not so successful it could be is the structure around. Could be less complex but…it is not. So I guess that this couple will not grow up to a major language like Python, C++ or Java or even C#.

I wouldn’t expect Dart to become a major language; it’s clearly tied to Flutter. Similar to how Vala is tied to GObject/GTK. Swift sits here, as does Xojo, of course. C# is arguably on the threshold, though I’d still classify it as a platform language. Comparing these to “major” languages isn’t particularly useful; where they sit in some ranking is strongly tied to their platform’s performance. For an enterprise, these considerations may be important as they determine supportability and availability of developers, but for smaller/individual developers, it’s more about what tool gets the job done.

I doubt that there is a job you can get done with Xojo for example which you can’t get done with C++ or Java. There is none. At the end for me the performance and the reliability are also counting arguments. And there for example Xojo has big leaks.

That wasn’t my argument at all.

No it was your argument that users are looking for tools to get the Job done. And I said - in recursive view on it - that this would also work with C++ and so on. Not more, not less.

flutter is not a language :roll_eyes:

⸮ in recursive view on it I doubt that there is a job you can get done with c++ or java for example which you can’t get done with assembler. There is none. At the end for me the performance and the reliability are also counting arguments. And there for example c++ and java has big leaks. ⸮

:rofl:

As far as I can see java and c++ have no leaks unreliability but flutter/dart, Xojo and many other niche languages have.

1 Like