First experiments with FreeBasic

Today I’ve decided to try out FreeBasic for a problem of my customer. The software supplier of his ERP software uses a bunch of services which crashes from time to time. Quite annoying and already topic of an ongoing discussion though the problem exists and the company with 50 employees needs a quick workaround.

So I’ve decided to write a monitoring windows service. Basically it checks the ERP windows services and restarts them automatically when not alive anymore. The information which services to be monitored is coming from a text file.

An existing skeleton (link) in the German Freebasic Community was unfortunately quite incomplete and only in 32Bit. So I needed a little bit time to translate and adjust existing C code from MSDN to Freebasic.

The result surprised me. The size of the 64Bit Single-Executable was just 56 KB! Without any dependencies. When installed as Windows-Service it needs only 524 KB in Memory.

Today Freebasic helped me to create a quick and small workaround for my customer. It is really awesome and with the power of gcc pretty fast and small in both, size and ressource consumption. I will try out GTK bindings in Linux and Windows next.

So far 1000% better than Xojo with its limitations and disgusting bugs.

Do keep us posted on your continued explorations, Tomas. This is interesting.

thx, I will put everything in a git repo, making it available for everybody soon

Current version is:

Download Files

Another good 32 & 64 bit windows freebasic IDE on GitHub is at

It allows Linux, windows, and android builds. There are iOS and Mac ports for the freebasic binaries on side branches :smile:

Work on the IDE is active and everyone is friendly.

And you know what? only 18 issues…
How many thousands xojo IDE does have? Or places full of legacy you better stay away from? I think about the integrated database tool.

Some of this may be due to an even smaller number of users or something but I have to admit, it is night and day. Also it’s telling that many of this relatively small number of issues are feature / improvement suggestions – that is to say, everyone’s bandwidth isn’t taken up with a lot off problems with just getting work done, so they have time to think about how the product could be improved for their use case.