Entire career is technical debt :)

3 Likes

Comments:

Lol yea this fits nicely with the Lianja thread and today’s discussion of xBase++.

There is a part of me that doesn’t like to throw away things that aren’t broken, especially when they work well and can still be improved.

(I went through a retro computing phase recently, playing in my non-existent spare time with writing code for a certain 8-bit OS, and it was a blast, given that even a Z-80 software emulation is around 10x faster than the original hardware. But TBH I’m not sure how we got anything useful done on such limited hardware; I have become soft, lol.)

Alaska Software claims there are still a million users worldwide using xBase software in some form or other, and I believe them (although “a million” sounds like a wild guess, it’s probably not wrong, either). Just as there is still COBOL code running in banks.

That said, I’m using the latest C# compiler for actual paying work and I have coded anew large parts of the system I presided over for the past decade and a half and it’s running at least 3x faster and producing better output by applying lessons learned, so …

2 Likes

LOL, I expected a download link to the memoirs of Genius (of course behind a paywall)

Chapter 1. All code rots or gets replaced, or how I invented API2

2 Likes

:shushing_face: If @thorstenstueker sees some of those comments about Java he’s going to get apoplectic.

1 Like

Or
How I misunderstood and thought that once its written it’s DONE and never has to be looked at again

1 Like

Your comment in a picture. I already hear a whiff of thunder … :slight_smile:

thorsten

The look on that bears face say Dinner Time !

Scroll forward to 4:07

2:08 is pretty accurate too :stuck_out_tongue:

DEPRECATION, in the world of IT

summarized by the Buddha, ~2500 years ago:

“All conditioned things are impermanent,
Their nature is to arise and pass away;
When we see this truth,
We will become disenchanted and find liberation."

Chapter 20, Verse 277 of the Dhammapada.

3 Likes

Too early for that kind of realization dude…

“disenchantment” hits the nail on its head …

1 Like