Detrimental marketing

That was pretty insane, telling your biggest advocate, we don’t want your business anymore. In hindsight, it’s understandable. Geoff has publicly admitted that “2.0 All The Things” was an emotional choice, with no technical basis. I have been told that Xojo staff warned against it, but he writes the cheques. Once it became clear it was the wrong choice, rather than admit it, Geoff chose to double down on it, no matter the cost.

Concur. There is a huge reduction in experience in the forum and a lack of knowledge from within Xojo, I try not to answer questions, because I believe I am delaying the inevitable. Breaking that habit is hard.

This would be nice, but at this point I not only think that Xojo is out of touch, but it is severely lacking in capability.

I hope I can get there some day, I have a long road ahead of me, especially to convert Sleep Aid (which has become quite complicated already), but I’ll get there one step at a time.

Thank you.

One statement from the CEO has really bothered me for a while “Adequately Staffed”, it just doesn’t make any logical sense what so ever. They’re clearly short staffed and majorly lacking in the skills/experience department, but the CEO continues to tout it, even though it appears to be a factually incorrect statement.

Until it dawned on me, he’s not looking at from knowledge of the product or from a developer who relies on his product, he’s looking at it from someone who knows Xojo’s finances… He can’t afford to hire more staff or more experienced/skilled staff, and this was before Xojo shed it’s “vocal minority” of customers.

The current staff are overworked and underpaid and I heard through the grapevine (so take it with a pinch of salt), that one of Xojo’s more recent hires is already reaching out to find another job.

Coupled with the recent price increases, downplaying of feature requests such as pre-emptive threads and branding “2.0 All The Things” as progress, paints a less than bright view of Xojo’s financial status and an attitude that appears to be trying to simply maintain that status, rather than seeking for growth.

3 Likes

As of late, Genius is filing a lot of feature requests. Who will work on these tasks?

As to be expected, they’re being prioritized!

This one is a combination of reports that I’m sure I’ve filed in the past.
https://tracker.xojo.com/xojoinc/xojo/-/issues/72891

1. Don’t auto-enable drag and drop on this control.
  2. Enable options for controlling the scaling of the NSImageView.
  3. Enable options for controlling the border of the NSImageView.

The Xojo forum now clearly lacks input from pro devs. It has devolved into the same dull newbe question-answer ritual as Claris’ after sales customer self-assistance website. Newcomers don’t learn much.

This eery event has put me on high alert:
https://ifnotnil.com/t/xdc-anywhere/2452/51?u=torsten_b

What I didn’t know at the time is that it also applies to Xojo’s (ex) pro developers.

Watching Xojo is like watching an accident happening.

2 Likes

Genius may want take credit for it.

1 Like

Worst.

I wasted my afternoon to create a new project to check if my design for another project is bad or if it is Xojo.

I forget to use my non API2 default project, so I used poor documentation example code.

OK, my brain was working slowly most of the afternoon, but at last I finished the project…

Now the hard and speculative part.

I moved the project from the m& MacBook Pro (mbp) to an i5 mbp where I can run standard Windows 10 family,. Its keyboard have broken keys (must press like an elephant to get some keys) and broken screen (I use an external one).

It was a painstalk process to go to API 1 (from API 2) code. It was so hard that I started to think at an alternative reason that encompass the so called “Desktop Controls”…

If the whole she-bang was to force people to upgrade to current versions ?

Remember: they do not rewrote the Controls, just add a new set of controls with most of the time bad choosen names… If you compare the ListBox and DesktopListbox, you can cry.

And I suspect they do not want to read the documentation as I shared a link to a “SQLite Basics” page in the documentation site, the op continued to ask question answered there. I just stopped answering to that thread.

Sorry.

I have to mention that there is a quite nice hand full of CSS Files for JavaFX with a bright nice Design. At the End there is no problem to have even nearly native Design for Windows and MacOS when writing the correct CSS.

But even without the CSS you can have a running and quite stable and sustainable App as result.

That you have to compile on the platform is true. There is no other way. with GitHub Actions you don’t need even to look on it. One klick and you’ll get your compiled File and if you want: even that directly as installer.

I prefere JavaFX. But also possible, if you don’t want to spend one Euro, is using of Netbeans with the Matisse GUI Editor and making use of Flatly Look and Feel. That will push you to a quite nice design. If there is any question: open a Thread or PM me.

And it’s already marked as fixed. I report a problem and the report gets auto-closed two years later.

Clearly shows this isn’t a customer focused company, it’s a Geoff focused company and anyone who thinks the Geoff train is fun.

1 Like

But hey, you may concern the it is impossible for 5 devs to fix all the Bugs? If not please think about.

My point was, when I report issues, they get ignored. When the CEO reports issues, they get fixed there and then.

2 Likes

That’s what happens when you have too less devs

1 Like

That happens when natural intelligence beats artificial intelligence :slight_smile: . chat with Geoff, Paul & Travis (chatGPT).

2 Likes

Geoff writes their paycheques :slight_smile:

Huh, weird. I wouldn’t have paid anyone for the shitty version data fix.
But you’re well aware of my opinion on that person’s uh… “skill level”

2 Likes

Esp when in the relevant issues filed about it there were at least 2, if not more, correct versions for macOS posted yet they chose to NOT use those & fixed the string parsing - which was still broken on non-English systems :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

To my mind, this confirms a preference for quick / expedient / superficial fixes over vendor guidance, user advice, and best practices. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

This kind of thing is exacerbated by understaffing. Adding a quick ElseIf block to the existing code and testing with US English-only OS configuration is far quicker than a careful refactor / redesign and making sure it’s right at least in a half dozen of the most-used language configurations.

My own experience with TableColumns() not working for Postgres except in a particular default / non-production configuration (the table being in the default schema) is very similar. Someone knocked it out without thinking about, and/or having the time to deal with, anything but having it working in a quickly slapped-together test case that doesn’t contemplate real-world use.

3 Likes

One of the first Englisch expressions I learned as a project manager was ‘quick and dirty’.

I agree, and the infuriating thing is that it was implemented wrong to begin with. This was a chance to fix that bad implementation. Instead of using the API function they were supposed to, outlined in the documentation from Apple, the staff member quickly hacked up more string parsing.

Did I mention they were even handed the correct code on a silver platter?

What kind of EGO you must have to hack your own shitty string system instead of taking the advice of an ex-IDE builder, a macOS development expert, and the mf-ing vendor documentation.

This was either total incompetence or a massive ego. I do not expect that Geoff instructed the staff member to “do this as wrong as you possibly can”. I simply cannot trust the framework while this person has control over it.

Edit: Tried to clarify that I agree with your findings. Had they used the correct code, the issue wouldn’t have come back on non-western systems.

3 Likes

I’d agree

They had the chance, and the code, to do it right
They hacked it more
Then didnt test adequately (on English or maybe western languages only?)
And then the “fixed” hacked code broke on non-western systems

:man_facepalming:

1 Like