Detrimental marketing

Back to FileMaker…man you are somehow lost sometimes

Yeah. PHP work great, but FileMaker means faster development. They don’t get it though.

let’s hope new KPIs too …

4 Likes

The Genius version:

Keep people indifferent
Keep people indignant

keep people idiots
known proposals ignored
keep professionals ignored

2 Likes

I have no idea… maybe I did not use it…

1 Like

Keep people irritated

2 Likes

Keep Pretending Interest

2 Likes

Well they excel at

Keep people infuriated

3 Likes

Feedback from a developer to Claris:

For goodness sake stop renaming things and changing logos. Work on features instead.

Copy and send to the green guys :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

At least they HAVE held the same product name for nearly 10 years :slight_smile:

I was there when it moved from REALbasic to Real Studio to Xojo and … ARGGHGGGG !!
So much busy work

1 Like

Feedback from a developer to Claris:

The improved Import Records dialog is a great example of excellence. Worth waiting for? Yes, but only in hindsight because waiting 20 years for it was a long and painful experience.

On the green side of things, has anyone heard of grid control since the 2022 keynote?

I dont recall it being mentioned this year
But I’ll admit I hardly listened to the keynote - really didnt watch

Xojo Inc boasts providing a ‘rich framework’. A grid control isn’t part of it. But hey, who needs a grid control?

1 Like

That is a good question. Can someone answer that, please ?

1 Like

I’d have to go back & revisit what they even talked about in their “grid control”

Listbox is, more or less, a grid
But it seriously needs much expanded capabilities - like being able to embed controls in cells
These things have been requested for years and recently they said they’ve worked on something like this

When we did the ARBP surveys circa 2008 a grid control and better reporting were the two top items developers wanted. But that’s not surprising since many business type apps use those two things the most.

The reporting in Xojo is a joke, IMO, but not enough people complain about it for them to make any changes. Shorts was a good attempt at making reports editable and configurable at runtime. I’ve not heard much chatter about Shorts in a while since I sold it off. Sad, but the reality is that there aren’t that many Xojo developers left that would use its flexibility.

I wish them luck with their grid control. I think they’re going to find that performance needs to be their first, second, and third priority. But I doubt they’ll think about that until the end. I’m sure it’ll be good for a few hundred rows and columns but after that it won’t scale well.

2 Likes

you mean, if they will test it on their current user base, they will be the only one happy with the performance? :wink: - doesn’t scale well seems to be part of their DNA these days :frowning:

1 Like

It will be a marketing bullet point - just like reporting. The minimum viable product BS that Geoff likes to talk about will mean that it works for simple stuff but once you get past whatever example they give it will be a pig. And it probably won’t take long to get into an area where they didn’t expect one of their average users to go.

5 Likes

Very, very, true. Sadly.

2 Likes