Club of the flagged by the "community" on TOF

In your opinion :slight_smile:

In your opinion :slight_smile:

You entitled to it no matter how wrong it is :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

to me this says ā€œI could tell you stuff but I wont so I wont say anythingā€
So you dont need to post to say nothing :slight_smile:
Its why I felt this didnt add anything to the thread - but that is just MY opinion which Iā€™m allowed to have and for it to not be the same as yours :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s no right or wrong or correct and incorrect here
If we were discussing the atomic weights of something or the masses of something - things that are provable and factual - fine
Weā€™re not
Its my opinion that ā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™ve read the topic of the title? :roll_eyes:

Just saying ā€¦

Only if you read selectively and leave out what he HAD to say.

Sorry Norman - you misquoted Emile and took out the important bit to make your case (are you going Republican on me? :stuck_out_tongue:)

If you need to do that then you have no case.

There is a debate in Science that experiments that fail to show an effect should be published as they can be as important as ones that succeed to show something - because they reduce the probability that there is an effect, and they might save a LOT of time and money preventing others going down the same wrong path (something most programmers will be familiar with).

So if saying ā€œI tried that and couldnā€™t make it workā€ is valuable information, then Emileā€™s post was useful and on topic (despite his usual rambling approach), and the criticism is unfounded.

Unless you guys dismiss it all because you think Emile not making it work doesnā€™t mean anything, so you can just disregard that bit.

Just to be sure I follow, because Iā€™ve not read the original reply. Is this quote this thread is about, concerning Emile? (taken from an earlier post in this thread)

If so, clearly not off-topic in my opinion.

But Emile is in this forum; he certainly knows better than us what he meantā€¦

Like when youā€™re seeing ton of ā€œI have this problem tooā€ in Appleā€™s forum (or others). Makes very hard to follow what users did to try solving their problem (so that you can either also avoid some bad attempts, or get clues as to what is the problem/what you might try on your side).
When you get 138 pages on a discussion and 3/4 are just confirmations of guys having the same issue, you often donā€™t look the thread further, even if it could be helpful on the very next page/postā€¦

Given the smileys and the next ā€œBut seriouslyā€ bit, I think it was kind of a joke :wink:

Based on how I often ā€œtranslateā€ Emileā€™s answers, I read it as ā€œI have answers I expected to be true in the first place, but my experiments showed that theory isnā€™t equal to practiceā€, which leads to ā€œbe cautious about unexpected results you may getā€, which, IMO, can be helpful.
My two centsā€¦

Iā€™ve been flagged, too.
Donā€™t waste your time whining and move on.

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry, Norman getā€™s the joke, in the same way as I get his ā€¦ even without smiley :wink:

I get the drive to have ā€œanswers with contentā€, and that they would not have written what Emile wrote as they come from a VERY different place and therefore appreciate if others write what THEY might have written (saving them the hassle). But just because Emileā€™s answer doesnā€™t add anything to THEIR knowledge (THEY managed to make a living with Xojo) doesnā€™t mean that the OP will. So if someone asks if Xojo is a good development tool for him and can he earn money with it, then any answer that is on topic counts.

If an item has 1 positive review but 300 negative ones would you buy it? Obviously not.

Then just imagine 1 person saying ā€œIt worked brilliant for MEā€ and 300 saying ā€œCouldnā€™t do it with this toolā€, then you would clearly say ā€œthat was very useful for my decision whether I should use this toolā€. So why is Emileā€™s answer considered off-topic or irrelevant? Beats me.

As Iā€™ve demonstrated I can argue my case, whereas everything else I read misquoted Emile to make their case or didnā€™t even try and put it down as ā€œjustā€ an opinion. And that is simply incorrect and unfair to Emile - and I canā€™t stand unfairness.

:thinking: Iā€™m not sure if that is the German or the Scientist in me ā€¦ potentially the worst of both Worlds combining ā€¦ :grin:

You make enough noise they might actually raise the ā€œflag levelā€ from one to three before hiding a post.

Because the current situation is ridiculous.

If that was what he said you would be correct. And Joseph would be correct that it would be mocking.

But what he said was

ā€œI could give theorical answers to all of these, but since I failed for each of these, it is better to stop here and let more knowledgeable people to give you answersā€¦ā€

That is a personal, honest and pertinent answer.

Not cool misquoting that and portraying Emile like something else.

That is also something I hate with some people. They tend to think their opinion is the only valid one and if you try to offer another point of view, they basically tell you you donā€™t understand anything.

Recently in the official forum, there was a discussion about GitHub (or svn, along those lines); one answer said ā€œsvn is mandatory in programmingā€. I answered this wasnā€™t true, because some donā€™t use it (never said itā€™s not a good thing, but still not ā€œmandatoryā€).
The discussion then went in a ā€œyou never tried so you donā€™t knowā€ from the same user, which is just ā€œbad faithā€. I gave up answering, as the user clearly wonā€™t accept another point of view.
I often see this behaviour in forums, like Appleā€™s. You end up in a ā€œyou have no proof of what you sayā€ discussion and finding scientific reasoning would be too much time consuming and probably not worth. Then you abort but stay angry against that behaviourā€¦

And Iā€™ve never saw you saying something against Xojo; only suggestions on how you perceive things.
The ship is sinking.

Well, I had a meeting with Geoff recently and we talked about a few concerns I have.
I expect that he got some of the points I made and now I wait for their r2 or r3 release to implement some of the suggestions I made.

For the forum moderation, I am happy if they kick out spammers quickly. And as I myself run a website chat, I know people can be very rude and offensive. There I block people myself a lot!

Iā€™d bet the people flagging Christian are flagging his posts because they dislike the persistent promotion of MBS plugins

Thereā€™s been that section of the user base forever going way way way back to the NUG days

I also dislike persistent promotions of things, in general; but I know itā€™s my opinion and wonā€™t flag something just because I dislike it

1 Like

At least Christian is offering a solution instead of adding noise to the signal to noise ratio.

2 Likes

with a little power comes great stupidity.

:@Markis:
Yes, medical problems (vision).

The real answer is not Xojo remated. More about the Auto-learning / finding work later. My last 25 years prpves that to me.

And, an answer to open the ,discussion. Without a first answer, sometimes the question never get any.

Hard to read and write with disabked vision and a magnifying glass in ahond (1/10 in the active eye).

Be back on the end of the week.

Cheers.