Aspect visual UI

I haven’t looked into this much. Just posting it for comments, discussion, etc.

Interesting

https://retool.com/ is impressive too. Not my cup ot tea, as kind of a huge lock-in, but still impressive.

1 Like

I participated in one of their seminars last year.
Not visually pretty but quite powerful and configurable.

yep, I want to run it locally or on my own servers. Nothing really to rely on. No information about licensing, even the privacy statement has no information with whom you are sharing your data and esp. projects of your customers. Not useable at least by European standards for devs and companies.

Edit: Retool in fact can be self-hosted, that’s a huge advantage, aspect.app does not offer…

Edit #2: Arghh… I expect a new wave of sql injections in such “internal” tools… 22 years of OWASP Foundation and still bad software design everywhere…

2 Likes

Same here, I took a look, liked what I saw, but am wary of lock-in anymore.

1 Like

According to their docs, what is shown in that query window is not what is actually issued to the db - all queries are converted to prepared statements “behind the scenes” (unless prepared statements are turned off, in which case the parameter would have to be enclosed in single quotes).

For a time in the Long Ago, I did “naked” SQL in a code base with no outward-facing exposure to a UI, entirely back end, and so no attack surface at all – mainly because debugging was SO much easier, and I (wrongly, according to our DBA) assumed that current versions of Sql Server were smart enough to cache such queries – that is how it was advertised at the time anyway, if you configured it properly – but got away from it partly due to some real-world scaling issues that might or might not have been because of that, and partly because I realized that you never know what unexpected directions your code base will go down the road. For years now I never cut that corner apart from now and again a couple of minor WHERE column references that are static.