App Wrapper 4.0 is alive

If anyone needs help setting up a web server feel free to reach out to me. Lifeboat customer or not, I just like to help build cool things.

But to plug my toys, SSL Grade is as simple as selecting which one you want from a popup menu :innocent:

1 Like

Tim, you are a fantastic programmer and a decent human being - but your marketing sucks. I can’t believe I’m writing this again (I should have it on speed-write but it is too short for that) but: Link? Every time you write LifeBoat or any of your other offerings - why is that word not a link? It’s unobtrusive but effective.

1 Like

Oh I whole heartedly agree there. In all fairness, I may have been with them for 15 years and I don’t think my hosting fee has increased once, but still I dislike the position I’ve been put into.

So I will shop around.

Your site is still using the old certificate if you visit from ios. It takes only some minutes to delete and replace certificates… Why is the old certificate still there? When I analyze the settings I see that someone takes security to easy for some reason… or don’t know what they are doing.

Kindly/ A

In FireFox 89 on Android 11, it shows the correct certificate, however I suspect that you and I are probably not in the same local and therefore are probably going through different caching servers. Why some seem to be refreshing back and forth, I don’t know and no-one appears to be able to tell me why either.

What I do know, is that I’ve tried to deal with twice now and I am very disappointed that it is still happening for some.

Moving sites is not something that I can just do in a few minutes either, I need to conduct an analysis on everything that I am currently using, to figure out exactly what my needs are. I don’t make enough money from software anymore to be able to just buy a high end or medium plan, I must be careful with what I spend.

I will then have to deal with the migration, and whatever failures will occur due to the migration, and then whatever problems I run into caused by the new hosting company.

It’s a big job and there’s no guarantee it will solve the problem either as I don’t actually know what the problem is.

Dear Sam

Caching servers? That is just ridiculous if they tell you this. So people from other countries should be satisfied with insecure settings/certificates that also isn’t valid and trusted? What hosting company can survive with a philosophy like that? Caching servers is NOT supposed to behave like this at all. I’m sorry if I stress you, but this whole situation with your server should be resolved by no cost of your hosting company. I understand that either they hide some facts from you, or are incompetent. There is really no excuse at all that they can tell you, it is their responsibility to fix this. For free in my opinion since I can see that they failed and to a certain point where the failure is in the configuration, and so can everyone else too who knows about this subject. I welcome other peoples view. The fix should include an A or A+ rating, it is just as easy to configure as an C.

I really hope that you don’t feel to stressed or feel bad about this situation, in the end it is just a few lines of configuration code that needs to be corrected, and a certificate who needs to be deleted. Nothing that you should have to be worried about. And if it’s done right you have time to decide if you have to move everything to another host or if it’s working ok for you. But it has to be done.

Kindly / A

Thank you for your kind words! I’ll try to link Lifeboat more! I just don’t want to come across as pushing sales over solutions.

1 Like

what ever you are doing to promote you will never reach the level of the Xojo plugin vendors. Feel free to fire I would say!

1 Like

Links are mostly unobtrusive
I’d say go for it !

1 Like

I host with DreamHost and its pretty inexpensive

1 Like

Just to update here, I have begun the migration process, there’s still a long way to go.

Yes I am frustrated (seems to be my default setting nowadays), stressed and tired. As I’ve said on TOF, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I will give it one last fight, when I ask for my money back and my hosting plan to be cancelled early due to their inability to resolve the issue, costing me time, money and… I have e-mails from people who went to renew and were put off because of the certificate issue, so yes even sales.

Shame really as I’ve been with them for 16 years now.

1 Like

Congratulations, I can see that you have changed the ip and your site now has an A rating. You have also applayed much more secure settings. Good for you and your customers! I hope it will stay this way. You can get an A+ if you want, but this current settings looks good enough based on what I can see from here… :smiley:

Kindly / A

1 Like

Sigh.
This process has been horrible and hopefully not something that I have to repeat any time soon. While the problem wasn’t resolved by the hosting company, they have agreed to offer me credit for the remaining time I have already paid for and I will continue to use their other services, so I am happy that they are doing this and I feel that I must give them credit, I was expecting some kind of fight over this and there wasn’t one.

@Tim has been incredibly helpful and now that I have gotten to experience what Tim’s Strawberry Software - Lifeboat actually does (even just for static web pages), I am thoroughly impressed.

It is important to note that until I started to use Lifeboat, I was a little hesitant as I wasn’t migrating a Xojo web app, I made some mistakes because of my stressed out state and this was one of them. I really could never have imagined how simplified the process is with Lifeboat. I am going to try to ensure that other people DO NOT make the same mistake.

@Tim I am sorry and I thank you for your patience with me.

I cannot take credit for the A grade for the certificate, as I’ll be honest, I didn’t see it as being important. I have additional security which I’ve built over the years to protect my customers and I personally do not handle the financial transactions, nor is any customer information collected or stored on the site.
The reason there is now a certificate that meets this grade, is because Strawberry Software - Lifeboat makes it easy to do.

So really you should be congratulating @Tim as he’s responsible for the A grade.

Thanks @Tim

5 Likes

Tim might want to put more emphasis on what Sam highlighted. On the Lifeboat website it says:

Lifeboat

Deploy and manage Xojo Web apps on your Linux server

but that you can use it for other sites too is a huge deal. Just think of all the RapidWeaver etc developers.

1 Like

P.S. Have you thought about joining the web developer forums? Like RapidWeaver and what not? I would emphasize the security aspect - that is a HUGE deal nowadays.

I plan to write a write-up (maybe I should learn a little English first) of my experience, with this as a point I intend to make.

I agree that it should be made clear, and I will say that I don’t know how.

All I know is that there is functionality in AW4 that I fail to communicate effectively, same with the App Kit.

How would Lifeboat work with Rapidweaver sites? I click on the Publish button in Rapidweaver and that’s it. If the direct publishing is having a hissy fit (been there, done that and got the t-shirt) I can export to a folder and directly upload with FTP.

Lifeboat would be the part before you press Publish in RapidWeaver. You would use Lifeboat to first configure a new vps instance so that it can serve your website. Then you use RW to publish the content. I use RW for my blog :slight_smile:

I’ve been avoiding marketing Lifeboat as a general web developer tool because it lacks some features that other web panels offer. I might be too self conscious about it to assert myself there.

1 Like

Personally I’d say GO for it
LB is wonderfully useful

1 Like

I have a boring fully managed hosting plan and no VPS.