API1, API2 & Xojo.Core Question

I wish I could take the habit of using API2, for the long run, but since API1 is still supported, I usually write as I know (API1 syntax) and don’t learn API2 much.
If only there was a switch to deactivate API1, to learn API2…

3 Likes

While I haven’t tried, I’d give an attempt to this:
if String(“0123456789”).InStr(key)
Which wouldn’t require variable or constant. I’d expect this to work…

well yeah it still does require a constant… it is just you are casting it (unnecessarily) to a String… in this case Constant and Literal Value are the same thing

dim s as string = "12345678"
const c = "12345678"
if s.instr(key) then ..... // variable
if c.instr(key) then .... // constant
if "12345678".instr(key) then ... // literal
if String("12345678").instr(key) then .... // still a literal

heh :slight_smile:
you need more contortions than that to make it work
a cast wont work
this one gives you

Type mismatch error.  Expected String, but got TextLiteral
If String("0123456789").InStr(key) > 0 Then

you end up needing to do

If CType("0123456789",String).InStr(key) > 0 Then

and this is also true in most places a literal might be used

Yes. I actually meant you avoid having “something” that holds the value (a dimmed variable or a constant defined).
Casting, in this case, wouldn’t be unnecessary, as it’s how avoiding a “holder” would work. It just enforces the fact that it’s a string, so then the dotation way works.

Yes, it was one of my requests, Some kind of STRICT mode to allow API2 only mode, but, they prefer the mess of just warnings.

I admit I never encountered this case (since API1 didn’t enforce this notation). I was also unaware of the CType function.
So it’s a matter of choosing to hold the string in a variable or use a “convoluted” way.
Now that I know about CType, I’d go for it if I ever come across this issue. Having a variable just to be explicit about the fact it’s a string (and allow methods on it) seems a waste of resources to me.

Thanks for pointing CType.

Well, I usually check for warnings after substantial changes; I don’t think I would notice I was using API1 before I’d have to rewrite a lot (thus avoiding API2 all the way).

Yes Norman.

But with iOS noted everywhere, that is how I was feeling things.
Also, Desktop extension (New Framework for Desktop) does not appears. So, I stayed with my wrong, understanding.

This was only a perception issue.

The problem with having to use a variable is that a literal is more like a constant

I could declare a local constant and do

const localNumbersConstant = "0123456789"

If localNumbersConstant.InStr(key) > 0 Then
End if

Again there’s a new “variable” of some kind ot have to go refer to when you look at that line of code

It’s all trade offs

This is one of my biggest pet peeves and I’m thrilled to learn about CType here. @npalardy do you know why a normal cast won’t work and does anyone know if Xojo is going to be make this easier/more intuitive down the road?

To be kind of simplistic about this a Cast doesnt alter the TYPE that same way Ctype does
Its more like a simple hint rather than a type conversion
Its all kind of hand wavy and really internal to how the compiler treats things
Suffice to say that CType DOES an explicit conversion and gives a “string” that can be used that way

they have not said anything about this and, on the case I filed, their replies dont seem to indicate they understand why this might be needed or useful case # 56629 which, despite at least 2 requests, remains private so only testers can see it

My simple example was

which, while trivial and frivolous, illustrates that there are things API 1 could do that API 2 cannot without adding variables constants or cluttering the code with CTYPE’s