An open Brief to Gavin Smith

They basically made it unnecessary

DesktopControl.Window does the same thing

But they could have made it easier to move to these things

A one line extension in a module is all it takes

That the other MVP’s are writing convoluted code to do it … wellllllll …

Function TrueWindow(extends dtc as DesktopControl) as DesktopWindow
          return dtc.Window
    End function
  • assuming window works as documented :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

I thought you were finally banned because you kept posting to threads without contributing to the discussion?

:thinking: In that case you can ban pretty much anyone on TOF … including the MVPs … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This thread got locked, not because anyone was out of line, but because someone might get out of line. That’s some precog Minority Report thinking right there. Stultifying.

1 Like

Nope
As far as I can tell, since they never directly say despite asking, it was for being a “generally negative influence” in the community - which apparently ALSO includes INN as further conversations with geoff he pointed to a conversation ON INN as evidence of my negative influence :slight_smile:

:thinking: … well, to be fair you make the MVPs and Xojo employees look bad by correcting their mistakes and generally providing much better advice, so from a certain point of view and the light shining in a certain way it could potentially look that way … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Pretty funny they think we’re the issue. All the while Xojo spends a lot of time on renaming things.

Ah sorry. They are really he ones flagging for anything. In Germany between 1933-45 they had BLOCKWART. That where people living with you in the same block and where hunting for failing the Nazi regulatory to tell it to Gestapo and others. Many people where killed because of them. They where also called “Blockleiter” like in the Wikipedia Article shown here: Blockleiter - Wikipedia

The MVP and wide parts of the community are educated to react with flagging if it is to deep critically while they did not get and do not want to get that - sometimes - it is critics based on facts. Like the critics to Geoff Perlman which wrote Web 1.0 will still be maintained. It was not true when he said this and Web 1.0 was totally deprecated, the documentation was switched off. This Docs where not available for Linux users what was also a problem, there had a Lib to be reanimated which is long time not in use to be able to read Help. This even against the normal releasing policy in Linux environment.

Like you can see: they believe that that what they are doing is something good, it is hygienically if nobody writes something what shows for example somebodies lies. This behavior is exactly Blockward Behavior. Why? They could see that it is wrong but they did not wanted to see and realize.

The same effect we have with the MVP / Xojo fanboys. It is THEIR language where THEY are able to write something with and where they believe nobody else can do that. Find the error!

2 Likes

Godwin’s law at work.

Well done thorstenstueker, well done.

No it isn’t Godwin’s law. It is the behavior of the group. The group dynamic is working exactly so. That is the fundamental reason why this Blockwart mentality was working and is working. Has nothing to do with nazi comparing. But it has to do with group behavior. So Godwin’s law isn’t fulfilled

I agree that sometimes one writes something in anger and one shouldn’t have pressed that post button immediately. But when you suddenly see thousands of ‘issues’ pop-up you have to fix if you want to be up-to-date with the latest release, it does happen (and honestly, can you just leave depreciated stuff in your code? Your app is a mess just waiting for disaster). Of course you should expect some angry posts!

The astonishing part is, now it appears this ‘impulsive’ behavior it is a one-way street and it is not. It also sometimes looks like MVPs (and Xojo personnel) are hovering their mouse over the delete/ban button from the moment they see some people’s names replying at the bottom of the topic (see the examples where posts are deleted mere seconds after posting). It is easy to see that such actions only fuel the already existing anger that person has when making the post.

TOF really is in a very unhealthy state. And bringing in the MVPs made it worse. On introduction, I really hoped they would be the voice of the users, but some of them just act as a free-of-charge buffer working for Xojo. It is not a good thing you must hem and haw on every word you write, scared you would break some kind of rule. For example, when I was more active on TOF, I often just wanted to name some other product, JUST to clarify something, NOT to advertise. Nope, not allowed, breaking a rule, so I didn’t, well knowing it would be deleted anyway.

I’m on many other programming forums and I honestly have never seen such angry/dissapointed reactions from users, and not once, but over and over again. Let alone an alternative forum seems to be needed. Xojo should reflect on their own actions, instead of putting all the blame on their users. You can keep telling yourself everything is sunshine and rainbows if it makes you sleep better, but it looks so unprofessional.

5 Likes

That’s just crazy. I remember you being very helpful both before being an employee and during your tenure.

7 Likes

There’s a reason why I don’t blog any more. I don’t have a lot of nice things to say about the company/product at the present time.

Still I would love to read your thoughts on new releases.
It could be a posting on the forum or an XDevMag article.

Not going to happen but I appreciate that you think I have something interesting to say.

1 Like

:thinking: Except on the forum it would be removed immediately, and I very much doubt Marc Zeedar will publish anything critical of Xojo again … :roll_eyes:

I guess you’re right. I strongly believe that the last time nobody got really before which impact the critical text will be. Criticism nobody likes here wrote one user of the TOF to me once. Afanboy, okay. But still.

Xojo seams to have the policy of no critical self control and self reflection. The entire point of banning people behind the scenes is exactly that.

Looking on others like B4x community you realize within seconds that there is a difference. And this difference is dangerous. Because on TOF you can ask for help. Not more. Never ask something beside the problem you have. Otherwise nobody will see you again there.

The entire point of it is that Xojo needs to generate incomes from new users. Critics are disturbing that process in a hard way for the company. I can understand that. So I am not paying to them again.