An open Brief to Gavin Smith

It is a perfect example of irony: his efforts to make things easier for newcomers may actually make them more difficult.

1 Like

Okay, thatā€™s a point for you Julia. From this site: it is ironic!

1 Like

Well, my latest 6 months ban didnā€™t come from me being foul-mouthed, but from posting my graphic that compared new feedback cases with how many were closed during each release cycle - it was removed almost immediately and I was banned. Xojo simply does not want newbies to know the real state it is in.

1 Like

Did they say specifically why doing that merited being banned?

For sure you have not been very popular with them since that XDev article!

-Karen

Do they EVER tell you why?

Itā€™s my 4th ban and I have never been told beyond ā€œThe community feelsā€ ā€¦ or " You have been suspended for [xxx days/months/years/millennia] for violating Xojo Forum Guidelines."

And as Norman can tell you, if they canā€™t find a reason, then they just invent a new rule that you ā€œbrokeā€. Or they simply donā€™t tell you and do it anyway. It has nothing to do with ā€œbeing civilā€ as Julia thinks (has Norman EVER not been civil???) and EVERYTHING with controlling the message and being vindictive.

And yes, after my article it was just a matter of time before they pulled the plug. I think they didnā€™t want to make it TOO obvious, but I was ā€œliving on borrowed timeā€.

1 Like

Like in my Case: violating community Rules. Why? Alyssa said that I am rude. It was the content which was rude. Rude while true. They find their own solutions if they want to get rid of you. Makes is the first one which dies not get banned for longerā€¦

1 Like

That is why they killed the NUGā€¦

The company just does not feel anything like the same one it was when I first bought RB over 20 years ago.

Back then I felt my needs and their vision were pretty well aligned, and despite bugs and missteps, I trusted that where they were going would be good for me and them. I felt they were very open, customer centered and understood my needs better than I did.

I have not felt that way for a long time now.

-Karen

2 Likes

Looking on RB over the time is showing: you are right, it was so. And this was also my fundamental reason to buy Xojo. But at the end I got the right Idea about their behavior to their Customers. Nothing nice.

Unpaid employees and evangelists Iā€™m guessing.

They have a good chance to exist if they can hold their newbie-marketing and generate incomes from new customers. Itā€™s not that expensive to drive a company with ten employees

Yup
They made up a rule then said I violated that rule :slight_smile:
And it wasnt even a rule that limited its scope to their forums

Apparently what I say ANYWHERE is enough for me to be banned from their forums

Actually it is better to be banned: I feel like I have to answer to many of the questionsā€¦I am happy that I have not to, it would cost tons of time.

What it comes down to is if you point out fixable issues back channel, Xojo will hear you and then not rectify the problem. So you say the same things in the forums and then you get your posts deleted and eventually banned.

Itā€™s all about trying to save face. Thereā€™s a big story in the news about a Chinese Tennis Star. Long story short, China now shows color bars on the CNN feed when that story comes up.

Both are about trying to prevent embarrassing things from getting out rather than addressing the issue head on.

At the link below, Geoff says:

When the app reaches the point where itā€™s feature complete and ideally all the bugs that were planned to be fixed for this version have been fixed, the app moves to the Beta stage. Broader testing follows and may include users outside the organization that built the app. Often more bugs are found and some are fixed while others are left for another release.

This sounds good. While I have no access to betaā€™s since being banned by Xojo, Iā€™d bet that Android is NOT ā€œfeature complete and ideally all the bugs that were planned to be fixed for this version have been fixedā€.

Iā€™d bet Android is more like Web 2.0 where even when released to everyone itā€™s missing things and buggy to boot. Xojo loves saying ā€œfeature completeā€ but when they ship itā€™s nothing near ā€œfeature completeā€.

If you say something about it though, youā€™re labeled unreasonable, negative, and then banned. Itā€™s all about Xojo saving face when confronted with the difference between what Xojo says vs what Xojo does.

The entire Point of feature complete is that it is from their view feature complete when all new features are running at least somehow under some conditions. Thatā€™s not that what you mean with feature complete. And it means also not that it has the features you would await; it means it has the features they believe are enough for feature complete

a) project manager provides project specs
b) developer creates required code to support specs
c) developer tests code to insure that it supports specs base on their understanding
d) project manager test code to verfiy adherence to specs
e) customer (internal or external) verifiy adherence to specs
f) production release

Xojo seems to go from ā€œBā€ to ā€œFā€ with no stops between

ā€¦ can mean whatever you want it to mean ā€¦ thatā€™s why Xojo loves using it ā€¦

or do you mean whatever THEY want it to mean ?

ALPHA and BETA definitely have certain connotations attached to them about what sort of expectations we should have about a product
what sort of stability, etc and even features

But ā€œfeature completeā€ ? for what I, as a user, expect ?
Or ā€œfeature completeā€ as in ā€œminimally viable product and this is all the things weā€™re putting into itā€ ?

It would be nice to use something that better conveys what they mean - not a term that is LESS clear like ā€œfeature completeā€

Good point.

I think of beta as about to ship but needs testing to identify rough edges.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The beginner-friendlyness is uncanny ā€¦

:man_facepalming: