Alternatives to Xojo?

Looks like microsoft could change the game next year.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :sob:

I wish that were true.

They do keep touting this as “coming soon”
In a way I hope this isnt just FUD

1 Like

X-Plat was told to be happening YEARS ago. They’re a complete mess.
Nobody would love them to pull it together more than me, but too many times I’ve been let down in the past.
Just give what they have currently a try. It’s a nightmare.

Feels a bit to much like all the promises Xojo made over the last few years. Once bitten, twice shy so no thank you.

the difference is size of the development teams between xojo and microsoft.

Don’t they (Microsoft) have MVP and Connect too ? :wink:

Not really, they have a roadmap with milestones. Let’s see what they can deliver. But if Linux is your thing, don’t count on them. The most important dates are:

RC in September, and GA in November, 2021.

Milestones

.NET MAUI Preview 1 (Late 2020)

The first preview of .NET MAUI will be the first to take advantage of .NET 6 SDK features such as SDK style projects, build tools, and command line tools. We plan to also include:

Feature Description Status
Namespace changes to System.Maui Xamarin.Forms will become System.Maui Committed
Slim renderer architecture Spec In Progress
Remove Obsoletes Spec In Progress
Replace DependencyService Spec In Progress
Remove Data Pages Completed
Remove Themes Completed
Startup registry Spec Completed

.NET MAUI Preview 2 (Early 2021)

Introduce a Cross-Platform Lifecycle Spec Proposed
Move “AndExpand” layout option Spec Proposed
Update min and max sizing implementations Proposed
Implement GlideX Spec Proposed
Change IAnimatable Spec Proposed
Change Behavior and Trigger inheritance Spec Proposed
Replace Application.Properties Spec Proposed

.NET MAUI Preview 3 (Early 2021)

macOS Parity Wiki Committed

.NET MAUI Preview 4 (Mid 2021)

Windows Parity Wiki Committed

.NET MAUI Preview 5 (Mid 2021)

.NET MAUI Release Candidate (September 2021)

.NET MAUI General Availability (November 2021)

1 Like

all we can do is wait, test it and see if it suits

1 Like

or die (retire ?) before it will be released :frowning:

Wait is NEVER a good idea when you need something (ask your doctor); months, years goes as seconds when you realized the waited object (person/whatever) is not here on time.

Repeat after me:

What do we want ?
Everything !
When ?
Right Now !

if all you want is everything NOW then you should write in C++ as pretty much everything is written in C++ somewhere in its life :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I just came across this. Looks interesting.
Has anyone tried it?
MIT Labs - create apps for iOS and Android

Indeed looks interesting
And from MIT
Cant say I’d ever heard of it until you pointed this out

Really???

Yes, it is interesting, but it is just a toy intended for children to learn programming using “Block based coding” like sketch.

But, who knows, I can think of some users who love the “graphically represented” things :rofl:

Cardano are creating a visual programming environment, blockly, for their smart contracts so I don’t think it’s right to suggest such things are “just a toy intended for children”. I don’t imagine many children have an interest in DeFi or DApps.

It’s for 3 kinds of people: Children learning, Teens learning, and Adults that have problems to organize their ideas as code in their heads.

1 Like

Or in different words: it is NO Alternative for Xojo if you want to program professional.

Oh god no. We used Blocks programming for robotics 2 years ago. Once you get past simple it quickly grows into a monstrosity. Great for the kiddo’s to visually learn what a loop is but after that I found it to be kind of useless.

3 Likes

I actually found visual (iconic) programming to be very useful. I taught programming to graduate students with a limited background in English using Prograph. Graphical representations of code were picked up much faster than their equivalents in textual languages (I’d previously taught C++). My wife wrote the software for conducting the experiments of her Masters thesis and Doctoral dissertation and analyzing the data entirely in Prograph. I was impressed enough that I published a textbook about programming in Prograph.

I’m not claiming that Prograph (or visual programming as a paradigm) is perfect. There were warts (such as the display of different conditional branches or the contents of a loop in different windows). But it was a nice tool for its purposes. Even today, my wife still misses it.

I should also add that I also used LabVIEW, another visual language, for building a large system for presenting visual stimuli and collecting physiological and psychophysical responses.