Again discussions on TOF are blocked by Company

This is a good read

2 Likes

possibly a case of “short term pain for long term gain” ?

Absolutely! And at least we now are feeling confident for the future, something that was lost with Xojo a small decade ago but we had struggled on for years, grasping at every straw Xojo promised the community. Until one final day we just saw those promises are empty and moreover, they have no intention to change their very unprofessional behavior.

2 Likes

kind of describes the Republican Party too

1 Like

let stick to serious subjects like tabs , spaces and peanut butter
not trivialities like politics :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Somebody spoke about peanutbutter? Hope it’s crunchy!!

1 Like

where the hell is that ban button now ??? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hmmm, does that not exclude B4 from consideration then …? Or any “niche language”?

What does it leave for cross-platform development?

Well, people use Xojo because they like it.
Still it is a problem if you need to find a successor for your developer. And I can only suggest to raise one yourself by hiring a young developer looking for a long term position, who likes Xojo.

Otherwise everyone would use something like C++, Java or JavaScript.

Christian… you make that sound like Xojo is by far the best tool for most any job, and you and I (and a lot of other people) know that simply isn’t true. Aside from the obvious issue the langauge, the company, the managment and the MVPS have… Languages like C++, Java, Javascript, Swift, ObjC, and a myriad of others all have their place, and many are quite up to the task of being (and are being) used as an alternative.

Kool-aid may be served on TOF, but not here.

1 Like

Using the best tool in your toolchain to code something is a good recommendation.
But depending on what the job is, some things are a good thing and some not.

Coding a GUI app for macOS?
I know Xcode and I can code Objective-C quite well, but I would pick Xojo for it!
Doing a GUI in C++ for Windows, no thanks.
I know Java a bit, but don’t use it and I wouldn’t pick it for a desktop app.

Xojo for me is an IDE to quickly build desktop apps for macOS and Windows. Linux is a bonus, but no client needs it for desktop.

3 Likes

Which is fine FOR YOU…

Coding a GUI app for macOS? while “yesterday” I did use Xojo for that… Today I have NO PROBLEM doing the same (or greater) level of complexity in Swift…
as for iOS, I would NEVER (ok did never) consider Xojo for that… it falls too far short of a “professional” tool for that.

This forum exists not to extole the virtues of Xojo (assuming you think it has any anymore)… but to provide an uncensored platform to help developers of all kinds… It is supposed to be for an exchange of information, not a “Xojo is Great” soapbox, nor a place for commerical advertising

1 Like

We all know that 99% of the people which are able to write in C, C++ and Java will not choose Xojo except they can deliver something others can not. That was the case with Xojo Web: a fast System for deliverin Web Applications. That is ended for ever.

I have more chances to have a professional environment for Desktop. I use JAVA for Desktop for all platforms. IF - and I really mean it like I said it - there is a need for native controls for example QT

https://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/qtmac-as-native.html

That is not so expensive for indie developers and especially not for open Source developers or when holding the classpath excepeion even for commercial development. And it’s C++. So why should I use Xojo for a Desktop Application for which platform ever??? I have no Idea what should be better, more functional, faster or less complex on it. Except you have no Idea about C++. What many people in that environment have.

And in case of Java: why you would not pick it up for Desktop Christian? That I can not understand. It works completely and there are no hidden shocks under the hood.

Java is a burden. You need the runtime installed and your apps don’t look native and behave different. I want native controls.

When you have to write a cross platform app in C++, you need to either learn native APIs and manage them or use something cross platform like QT. But QT is quite expensive.

Anyway, in my toolset, I use Xojo for desktop apps as I know it fairly well and I am faster there.

Your mileage may vary of course. Other people have other toolboxes.

4 Likes

Sorry. But writing Xojo Software for Desktop says: cut the possibilities or install tons of plugins. With Java Yes the UI is different. And for example file chooser works different. But on all platforms the same and not different between platforms. And another thing is: there is no Language Error show stopping. In xojo you will find many of them. Starting with String handling which is to slow (compare to Java, C++ and so on).

And why should I need to install the runtime. I build packages with my IDE automatically as platform native packages. There is no runtime to install no nothing. The user has nothing to do with this. Not more not less. Even fĂźr Raspberry Pi I build fully native packages which do not need the JVM to be installed before. So why you say that? While it was so? My first BuildScripts for that are nearly 20 years old.

1 Like

He just said SOME people LIKE it :roll_eyes:

So now you want to be the IfNN MVP to censorship any opinion on Xojo? :man_facepalming:t2:

That is NOT true, the runtime could be bundled with the app. And the size of that is in most cases smaller than the Xojo runtime.

They are not that different and at least the GUI is consistent across the App. Controls are maybe a little different but with TONS of extra features available in all of the platforms.

Well, then Xojo is NOT the right tool, lets just remember the original topic of the post… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I made no attempt to “censor” anything, I just express my OPINION, something that this forum allows.

and to be fair … he actually said

Well, people use Xojo because they like it.

which also infers that some people use it because the “have to” or because they don’t know anything else. Discussions here are to help people discover those tools they may not be aware of, and to help them leverage those tools

3 Likes

Not really
If B4J is what your company supports then use it
THAT is the key take away - not that you need to use some mainstream tool / language
More dont be the odd man out in your company since long term support is going to be painful

1 Like