2021 R1 is out: still no Android!

I have no Idea what means coming soon and what it means that we saw multiple screenshots from Xojo, inc. about Android but what I can see is that there is no Android in the Release Announcement. How Users shall build cross platform Apps for Mobile? Simple Answer: they can not.

Simple Answer: Not with Xojo :wink:

1 Like

Have to admit that the first betas that arrived NOT including this made me think “oh it will arrive part way through the beta”
When there were more & more betas without any hint I came to realize “its not coming in this release”

it will be here
eventually
But - after this long how many have just done something else ?

1 Like

Many people using B4A and B4I, I am using Gluon Mobile, many others are developing directly in IOS with Xcode or Swift* instead of Xojo…they are loosing the connection to the market in case of mobile development. Anyhow it would be better if IOS would be improved so that it has the same abilities like B4I, after that Android is released early enough.

1 Like

This could be a good insight:

At the usual crawlling speed Xojo develops, any Android support will be outdated at release date…

Anyway, it is goot to se that web 2 is getting to a Beta level and PDF loking more feature complete.

1 Like

Can you do font embedding or subsetting yet ?
Havent looked at the notes for PDF

Yes but it could long time ago

I meant the Xojo PDF classes :stuck_out_tongue:
There are / were a pile of issues around using fonts outside the normal 14, font embedding etc
But I havent paid any attention to how/if that has progressed

PDF Font embedding is no Problem

I haven’t looked real close, but it smells a lot like the gPDF class I wrote a few years back

I am using Dart/Flutter to do mobile.

There are many options, I use gluon mobile for iOS and android, single Codename with hardware abstraction. Write once…

It’s so boring to read in “another forum” what we all already know. So what’s your point, except from ranting? There are many (happy Xojo) developer out there that can live w/o Android.

Okay that’s true and on the other side are developers which bought xojo and started to develop and waiting for more than one year for android. Sorry to disturb your view in the forum.

Cebe… You will find more accurate inforamtion here about the shortcomings and failures of Xojo than on TOF… ld. First a number of people posting here (myself included) have been banned from TOF for attempting to ask the hard questions, so they resort to this forum where such censorship and paranoia do not exist. Xojo has severe problems, mostly (my opinion) stemming from the Trump like Ego of the CEO, and his “I know better than you” attiude…

Xojo has made tons of “promises” none they have fullfilled. iOS is a joke, Android is vapoprware, Web is (from what I hear) so broken as to be a waste of time and money. API2.0 has caused its own set of headaches.

Do I think Xojo can recover and become a stellar product again? Actually No I don’t. They have gone too far down the rabbit hole, and the current policies don’t show any attempt of willingness to turn around. So given the slight interia and clientbase, I give them 5 years before they implode.

In the mean time, many developers such as @thorstenstueker and myself have already found viable alternatives to Xojo, and I know for a fact there are at least 3 independent efforts in developement to provide even more alternatives… I myself am working on a transpiler for macOS/iOS and tvOS.

Oh… and as I mentioned to DaveK. If you find the posts on this forum to be boring, just click the mute button… it works quite well…

TOF will be serving more Kool-Aid at 2pm

2 Likes

Care to enlarge on your vision?

Xojo has made tons of “promises” none they have fullfilled. iOS is a joke, Android is vapoprware, Web is (from what I hear) so broken as to be a waste of time and money. API2.0 has caused its own set of headaches.

You forgot the regression bugs in the core API with each new release.

Do I think Xojo can recover and become a stellar product again? Actually No I don’t. They have gone too far down the rabbit hole, and the current policies don’t show any attempt of willingness to turn around. So given the slight interia and clientbase, I give them 5 years before they implode.

They could limp along for another 10 or more if the promise of new features keeps the quest for fresh blood flowing into the ecosystem. Selling future bullshit to new prospects (who are as yet unaware of the past history) is a proven survival strategy. Perhaps another re-branding will be forthcoming as well.

have already found viable alternatives to Xojo

I am beginning to think that the time spent in working around Xojo’s issues and disappointments is better spent learning three of four different APIs just to produce a viable, reliable and high performance end product. I used to be really sad about this trajectory of degradation and deception, now I simply am loosing any interest in what happens to them at all. As you pointed out, there are now better alternatives on offer, albeit not in a single package.

The only thing that remains to say is that at some point the leadership realized that they could churn out half baked garbage and that enough new people would pay for it. They could then build their businesses into the Xojo ecosystem and be invested in the next update that may or may not fix their showstopper.

The possibility and mission of producing and delivering a solid base model with rock solid functionality has been completely discarded in favor of chasing new licences, so in essence, you long term professional users do not and will never matter or factor into their plans. Your bug reports go into the ether to die and the only thing that matters is making a nice marketing feature list to trap the next generation of captive audience. This is much less work than actually delivering the goods as advertised and still brings in some cash. (To be clear, I still believe that the Xojo Inc. staff are forced to carry out this business model and perhaps do things differently if given the option, but this is my speculation.)

Its disgraceful, dishonest, unsustainable and unethical… but, who cares… there are alternatives and the time spent transitioning to them and migrating your code is much better spent then wasting one more moment on trying to get Xojo Inc. leadership to take honesty, transparency, efficacy and delivering on even a fraction of his promises seriously.

Ifnotnil, however has a great future as a place to explore said alternatives.

3 Likes

Yup - TOF wont let any posts about alternatives exist
An honest discussion of the pros & cons of other tools compared to Xojo would probably be welcome by many

2 Likes

The only way Xojo’s behavior will change is to stop paying them for broken code. I was a uber cheerleader for years based on past performance. But the last 5 years have been a hot friggin mess.

I won’t spend another dollar on Xojo until they address how they will fix quality.

Imagine if Photoshop or Mac OS was this bad???

Or imagine shipping like this to your own client???

6 Likes

Isnt it?

1 Like