Xojo fixed it’s bug problem!

Sometime next year we intend to update the system such that when as case has had no activity in many months, the system will automatically ask the user if this case is still relevant. If they indicate that it is, the case will remain open. If not, it will close.

Xojo is nothing but predictable … the ONLY thing that ever surprises me is when I think “Surely they wouldn’t … would they?” … and then they do.

Geoff said “Do it right, or don’t do it at all.” … well, this certainly isn’t doing it right.

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Geoff and his team can ban people and delete posts, but it won’t change how folks feel about their super shady practices.

Now new people are speaking up.

Geoff should just be honest.

I remember reading long ago that the software that ran the space shuttle was considered to be bug free. That came at the cost of $25,000 per line.

I really wish Geoff stopped making this stupid comparison :roll_eyes: Comparing writing Xojo with writing software that flies people to the moon is just laughable. NASA wouldn’t even have trusted a program written in Xojo to handle the coffee breaks of the janitors…

This is just a ‘typical’ Xojo solution to a big problem (the huge pile of bugs) they have: why fix bugs if you can just make your users so tired that they stop confirming bugs so you can close and delete them? It all comes down to having a testing strategy which Xojo does not appear to have. They may be a 20+ year old company, but they also still work like 20+ years ago.

Really, the putting-responsibility-on-the-user mindset Xojo has is just staggering!

2 Likes

I don’t see this as being all that shady. There is a mountain of bugs in Feedback that are no longer relevant and this is a way to whittle it down to something more manageable. My opinion is going to be an unpopular one but with such a small development team I don’t see how else they can manage and prioritize bugs.

Will they lose some valid bug reports? Yup. Definitely. Is it more work for those that submitted them? Yup. Definitely. Will it provide better long-term success? That’s the real question.

6 Likes

Keyword is small team. They can’t deal so they’ll disappear bugs. That’s what it comes down to.

Paul just said too many bugs and small team.

It’s literally to make it look not so bad.

I do understand this, but it is a problem they caused themselves by the long term neglecting of following up bugs. Putting it now all on the shoulders of the users is just a cheap shot and I can only read it as a very desperate move.

Xojo has been way over their head with wanting to tackle all those different platforms with, indeed, a way to small team. Every team member has to be productive if they want to (just) survive and although testing does not appear part of this, in reality, it is a huge money saver.

I honestly also do not see a way out of it short term for them except biting the bullet an setting some team members on it to remove all those old cases. But throwing the baby out with the bathwater is definitely not a good idea.

1 Like

I remember reading long ago that the software that ran the space shuttle was considered to be bug free. That came at the cost of $25,000 per line.

Well that is wrong, the Space Shuttle code was $1000 per line and had 13 known bugs NASA had to work around.

1 Like

I’ve said this before
Process process process
Fix their processes& & a bunch of other issues will be fixed
You wont get releases that say bug X is fixed but isnt
Fix the reproducible items and they might earn some kudos for that and buy some breathing room about ones that are harder to reproduce

An interesting read on the Space Shuttle software development process.

3 Likes

Interestingly, Xojo isn’t sending emails to staff to revisit languishing bugs.

I bet NASA just closed unreproducible bugs too.

Interesting read! I especially liked this part:

That’s the culture: the on-board shuttle group produces grown-up software, and the way they do it is by being grown-ups. It may not be sexy, it may not be a coding ego-trip — but it is the future of software. When you’re ready to take the next step — when you have to write perfect software instead of software that’s just good enough — then it’s time to grow up.

:thinking: :grin:

1 Like

Close the bugs.
Lock the threads
Not really different is it ?

1 Like

Read: It’s closing time! (1) You all have been able to vent your outrage and now we will just do whatever we have decided in the first place. Sigh… Proof me wrong and cancel this whole idiotic re-verifying idea Xojo!

Really? If you had just let the comment pass, it would’ve been forgotten in no time. But no, let’s fuel this topic (see the number of posts on this non productive discussion) so we can quickly proceed with (1)

Notice how Dana and Alyssa ignore Karen??? But they’ll get all upset about ‘asylum’.

Aww… did someone hurt their poor fraglle feelings? Personally I think Ricks comments were a great analogy…

I have to admit if found it witty too :grin:

• Do not make personal attacks. Criticizing ideas by means of reasoned arguments is an important part of discussion. Resorting to personal attacks is not.

Karen was probably ignored because responding to the comment would have taken the topic more off topic.

But could have gotten to the true root cause of those types of comments.

-Karen

1 Like

Just make another thread asking the same thing, hi xojo, just bringing this here from the other thread as I didn’t want to go off topic, and I was wondering…

They can either ignore it or answer it, both options will tell a story. :slight_smile: