Xojo 'Average User'

Xojo considers IMPLICIT INSTANCE “advanced” so they MOVED the property off the main property page onto the “Advanced” tab

A “Window” in 2022r1.1

Exact same window updated to “desktopWindow” in 2022r1.1

1 Like

And it’s called “Windows Behavior” which makes you think it’s something that only applies to Windows OS. Great attention to detail :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Not to be a Xojo apologist, most of this is alleviated by staying with API1, using an older version of Xojo (I’ve stopped at 2021r2.1) and using the local documentation (whose search function is fine). The IDE has its quirks (more so under Monterey than it had under Mojave, unfortunately), but I rarely if ever encounter a show-stopping bug.

1 Like

Better be :slight_smile:
It is a full text search enabled by the entire thing being a sqlite database

1 Like

Window Implicit Instance is a subtle evil. Apparently I wrote about in 2016 Xojo Programming – BKeeney Briefs. I think it’s stupid this is under the ‘advanced tab’.

3 Likes

Agreed !

But we CAN turn this OFF (yer welcome)

Create a new document named Window.defaults
In there put

ImplicitInstance=false

Put it in ~/Document/Xojo/Overrides

And you can duplicate it and name it DesktopWindow.defaults to affect the new “DesktopWindow”

You can alter a lot of the default values on new items this way

https://docs.xojo.com/UserGuide:Overriding_System_Class_Defaults

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/advanced_features/setting_default_values_for_xojo_framework_class_properties.html#setting-default-values-for-xojo-framework-class-properties

4 Likes

Implizit instance was something I was never really getting to the end how it works. I know the instancing from Java but implicit instance I had no Idea about.

Its just a method that, when referenced, returns a singleton that has been retained using a weak reference

They get folks into all kinds of trouble because they dont realize this
So they write code like

if Window1.PropertyIAdded is true then

and dont realize that THAT is a method call to the Class method which then creates the window if it didnt exist

In many cases it wont matter
But when it does and you start to need to do something else then implicit instance can be a real pain

BUT - for newbies / learners its easy

Interesting. Had no idea this existed.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks! (you already said “yer welcome” :slight_smile: )

Some years ago, I put ‘implicit instance’ on the time-honored evil-list that famously includes global variables. I now have the default behavior I want, and can’t forget to change it. :slight_smile:

https://docs.xojo.com/Resources:2017r2_Release_Notes
change 46921
which was really needed since editing signed apps could break signatures
and also break the IDE if you got something wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

Makes you think someone read this thread because

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If Paul reads INN we should laud him for doing so.

2 Likes

It could have come from TOF where it was mentioned as well

Either way its now “fixed”

1 Like

Appreciated the post over there !
Funny you got my name in there TWICE and the post remains unaltered

SOMEONE QUICK SCREEN SHOT THAT THING !!!

Naw just kidding
I’m more disappointed that no one at Xojo just seems to try & even help anyone out any more
That IS something one of the devs or customer support team should have pointed out

Or the one about whether iOS paths are always closed - not a single reply ?

Disappointing

3 Likes

Well, what you offered was of benefit to the community, and was germane to that thread. It was certainly a revelation to me, and I found it very useful.

In giving attribution, I was not ignorant of the “drama.” I still found it appropriate. I’m getting into my mid-60s now. Of the (limited) things I like about aging, the main thing is that I’m mellowing out. This means I’m getting better at getting along with everybody. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about:

Is it possible (and how) to set the “Destination” FodlerItem that way ?

This property is Project wide (you have to set it project after project); a way to set it once as a global value is welcome.

Else, the projects (all projects) have to be modified and saved (project miodification date will be saved too…).

I read the current documentation and it is scarce… only one example, interesting, but… how to change the window default size…

Another useful value is the active MenuBar; remember, when adding a window, no MenuBar is set by default ! So if you forget…

No its not - unless someone added this
The overrides are for project classes (windows, timers, etc) that show up in the ilbrary

Trying to get the overrides to work on Linux. Seems the files have to go there => ~/.Xojo/Xojo/Xojo 2022r2/Overrides/ but the overrides don’t work. I tried also to put them under ~/Documents/Xojo (like the documentation stated) but that doesn’t work either.

Can somebody verify i I’m dumb or if it’s a bug?

Edit: Same override files work in Windows. I copied them from there.

On Linux where’s you “user documents”
That should be where it looks but since I dont have source code I cannot confirm that
:slight_smile:

You might ask Paul or one of Xojo’s other staff directly on

1 Like