XDC on the future with "AI"

Indeed, that’s very true.

Nonetheless, it already indicates the direction in which the journey is headed. Code is frequently suboptimal or requires reworking to function properly, but it can still provide hints about where to focus your attention. In any case, tools like Tabnine, CoPilot, Rix etc often do already a fairly good job.

At present, the term “intelligence” is somewhat misplaced. If these tools were truly intelligent, they wouldn’t merely provide answers, but would also ask critical questions and offer proactive suggestions. For example, they might say, “Why are you solving the problem this way? Here’s an entirely different approach,” “You haven’t considered the following options,” or “I have security concerns regarding your intended architecture,” and so on.

Moreover, it would be more advantageous, ethical, and less hazardous if AI tools revealed the sources they used. This would allow novices to evaluate whether specific solutions might be effective, but possibly outdated, which is often the case, regrettably.

Lastly, AI should be able to recognize when manufacturers actively supply the system with data (which GP acknowledges doing in the panel) and, consequently, promote the formation of opinions that, if the provider is clever and cunning, could cause the purely statistical “objectivity” to become increasingly absurd.

I fear that after SEO, AIO will soon become the next “big thing.”

1 Like

The post in TOF announcing availability of the AI panel session on YouTube got zero responses until now. Considering this is a hot topic in Xojo land, that’s remarkably low.

Either

• members of TOF still haven’t recovered from the shocking revelation of the presence of a ‘natural intelligence’
    or
  • members avoid vexing Genius and rather keep their account active
1 Like

or people are realistic and pray that the Inc. will first clean their shop before engaging into the next adventure.

1 Like

Wise words!

Yeah been there done that and was told

Being suspended from the forum means exactly that. We don’t do partial suspensions.

And they wont consider changing “suspended” to “silenced” which has the same effect
The person cannot post
BUT if they hold a pro or pro+ license they can still log in and access things like the beta channel
:man_shrugging:

Unlikely
Would be nice
But unlikely

1 Like

This first post is an excellent demonstration of why, at this time, ChatGPT ISNT useful for Xojo coders
Especially those who dont KNOW how to code or can review the code to see it makes any sense

it may be a useful crutch when you CAN do those things
But its not a substitute for knowing WTF you’re doing

3 Likes

EXACTLY!

Additionally, there isn’t much Xojo code in any of those systems. It’s likely only Xojo code found in repositories where the owners are unaware that their code is public and Eddie’s :slight_smile:

There’s another reason why Xojo shouldn’t integrate it. They’re already behind. Last night, I looked at Microsoft’s plans for the new CoPilot X and GitHub Next in general. The IDE integration of such tools is crucial, and it requires a significant amount of effort. CoPilot, compared to TabNine, works seamlessly in Visual Studio Code and JetBrains products. I doubt that Xojo could catch up with those plugins anytime soon.

https://github.com/features/preview/copilot-x

An excellent listen

and this was STARTING with a good framework for an IDE that already did a ton of stuff
And it STILL took at least 6 months to get the first version out if I understood correctly

While I understand Xojo’s reasons for using Xojo to write the IDE it DOES put them at a disadvantage in many ways
There are many choices made ing long ago that impose certain restrictions on what can & cannot be done
And some are SO fundamental that changing them is VERY difficult without reimagine many other aspects of how the IDE does what it does

Oh well …

2 Likes

Will watch the movie later, thanks for sharing.

Nevertheless, they would need at least an LSP

for Xojo, as such that one could stick the language to almost any editor, which could then come up with modern language plugins if necessary.

But what do we know, they will probably know what they are doing. If not, then they should buy helmets.

now if someone HAD a grammar for it … well … :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is where they got stuck. IDE and language are inseparable because of their business model.

1 Like

and I bet at least one of them is calling that a genius business model!

It seems everyone supports VS Code (and often JetBrains) but not Visual Studio. I’m guessing because writing a Visual Studio plugin is harder.

I’m not sure. However, Visual Studio Code supports numerous languages, while JetBrains products cater to various languages individually, yet their API for each editor remains consistent. Both are highly popular editors.

If you aren’t earning money from plugins, at least you’re gaining recognition. Additionally, it appears that writing a useful plugin will garner support from JetBrains.

2 Likes

As AI is not solely chatGPT. There are probably thousand of AI tools already. This might be a helpful overview for one or the other of a few popular public ones.

1 Like

Today I asked AI about an error in my Java code without even mentioning the error message (Slackware style):

Response followed in a few microseconds:

Quite impressive IMHO. That’s still not “intelligence” but more than the interpretation of some genius that it is only a better text parser. Of course it somehow is, but …

1 Like

Yes. Ask him the same about Xojo Code…I expect another answer. And by the way: it impresses while the Answer is correct. There is a leak in the documentation for the boxed() method. They are not mentioning it. Why ever.

1 Like

Wise words, we are safe :wink:

3 Likes

And I was in panic about ai