XDC 2020 Keynote Discussion

I agree … This is Geoff being stubborn…

Desktop is Xojo’s biggest use, with the longest history and largest installed base… Everything else should be matching that… that is what makes teh most business sense IMO… API 2 IMO was an over reaction to a few framework issues that coudl have been solved with a lot less upheaval.

But if they were going to do it, this they should have introduced the new controls with API 2 and left the teh existing ones alone…

Just changing the properties names has caused a lot of work for existing users, but now we know things will not settle down for years on desktop…

So now what is teh point in creating reusable control subclasses when we know things are going to change yet again?

-Karen

1 Like

No I dont think you are
I tend to agree that it will be a pain in the ass

But trying to turn this ship is like steering the Titanic with a paddle
Its going to go where it goes and there is little we can do to convince him otherwise

Getting new controls with new events is better in that it wont screw up existing code and events
But yes - replacing controls will be a pain
But at least you could do it bit by bit instead of all at once like in R2

Still having no real alternative to copy & paste to share code is so … 1980’s

1 Like

And there are still bugs in the new properties, some are missing and … yeah its messy

1 Like

you insulate yourself from further changes since you CAN then use these as YOUR base classes for your controls etc and if something changes in a xojo control you fix your base class and dont have to change all your subclasses of those (unless you also happen to alter something you have exposed)

ie/ the change the params on Error
You update you initial subclass implementation of that, eat the event or pass along the error code like you used to and NONE of your other subclasses need to change

1 Like

You don’t have to replace them at all. At least that’s the rhetoric from Geoff. They will continue to work for “years to come”.

Not necessarily true. Once you are using the new controls, conceivably you will reap the benefits of any new improvements they make to them in the future. Perhaps they will re-architect some of the new controls as time goes on to improve them?

Not necessarily true. Once you are using the new controls, conceivably you will reap the benefits of any new improvements they make to them in the future. Perhaps they will re-architect some of the new controls as time goes on to improve them?

You are developer, too. What would your customers or your patients say to: oh, we are now doing it totally different. Don’t worry - in 10 years you will see a benefit.

1 Like

It can certainly be better, but it’s already on par with theoretical expectation for code 80-85% parallelisable:

You don’t have to replace them at all. At least that’s the rhetoric from Geoff. They will continue to work for “years to come”.

Unfortunately that same line with the API 2.0 roll out didnt turn out to be true in enough cases they relented and rolled them back
Fool me once - shame on you
Fool me twice - shame on me

This assumes that the underlying C++ code is totally new
I’m quite certain this is NOT going to be the case

What we know as “the framework” is a Xojo front end to a lot of C++ code
And that C++ code is, in my semi-eduucated guess, likely to be what sits under both API 1.0 controls and API 2.0 controls

1 Like

James said it out loud for everyone

STOP SHOWING ME VIDEOS OF WONDERFUL THINGS I CAN’T DO YET! Or release the pre-release versions!
https://forum.xojo.com/59205-pointless-complaining

2 Likes

heres a thing I’d been poking at that demonstrates he concept of how to expose some things to XojoScript

it would let you do something like this in xojoscript and have it draw on some UI in Xojo
still needs work and fleshing out but you get the idea

Dim p As New Picture(200, 200)
	Dim g As graphics = p.graphics

g.clearrect 0, 0, 200, 200

p.draw

dim j as integer
    for i as integer = 1 to 1000000
       j = i - 1
    next

p.Top = 50
	p.Left = 50

g.forecolor = &cFF0000
	g.textfont = "Arial"
	g.textSize = 18
	g.drawString "all in red", 10, 10

p.draw

g = nil
	p = Nil

EDIT : left in some other code I was testing :slight_smile:

What does t do?

Nothing - just some code I had left in while trying to get animation from XojoScript to work :slight_smile:

1 Like