Why I think "Xojo for iOS" is a joke

and the very bad thing: try addressing this to the Inc. and you will get brainwashed, that some people are real do-ers and have apps in the store making thousands of revenue … Those examples do exist but that’s even more of a joke, as they could have achieved the same with less pain and Swift. Plus, fun side effect, those iOS apps have no equivalent “main” macOS app, so no need of re-using code.

Thank you for sharing you story and let’s hope it will help others.

3 Likes

not quite sure what you mean by that statement… Unlike Xojo you can create a SINGLE project file, that can compile directly for macOS, iOS and/or tvOS

1 Like

I meant those success story iOS Apps the Inc is always mentioning. Those 3-4 xojo iOS apps have no macOS equivalent as far as I know. So they might be sucessful iOS apps, but could have been written with Swift (likely easier doing so), at least they didn’t benefit from Xojo’s great capabilities of being able to share code between desktop projeject and iOS :wink:

3 Likes

I absolutely love this bonus of using Swift and it’s something that Xojo as an X-plat language really should have spent time to get right. What’s the point of being X-plat if you can’t easily share code in a single project?

I’m sure it’s not easy, but it seems like a weird omission to me.

5 Likes

Java can do the same so I guess it is at least possible.

1 Like

They might have used the Xojo framework, which Xojo deprecated, whit made this a bit easier
I dont honestly know if they did though

https://www.great-white-software.com/blog/2019/08/15/the-universal-project/

FWIW this wasnt just me blowing smoke out my rear
I’d felt this way for years myself
Didnt get any traction though

Seems to still not get any :man_shrugging:
Instead we get “code sharing” by copy & paste which is one reason they renamed all kinds of things

2 Likes

It really looks like this is where it really got messed up. From the beginning of working with Xojo it struck me as odd that there is no single-project development for different targets, like desktop, mobile and web. Even FileMaker can do that!
The workarounds presented as a great way of organising x-plat projects are a nightmare, compared to what Xcode provides. Add the limited support for version control…

and now the added stupidity of “DESKTOPxyz” vs “MOBILExyz” just makes the ability to share even worse.

Anyone else notice that Xojo has cut back on using “Cross-Platform” in preference to “Multiple Platform”

1 Like

“single thread multiple platform copy and paste dev tool with Android coming soon”

Naaa with android coming when it is ready in the same State like IOS is and that since a few years only. Have passion. And MultiThreading will be coming soon just after releasing Android.

Better? single thread multiple platform copy and paste dev tool with android declares coming when it is ready and followed soon by whatever will be on the roadmap by then.

seriously - you slack off Xojo yet use the lame LiveCode development tool - no object, no multi threading, no multi cores and if you think Xojo’s iOS is weak just try and develop anything in LiveCodes implementation.

Give it a break.

1 Like

LifeCode is the worse. I am using codenameOne, having all I need for IOS and ANDROID and that without restrictions and on IOS native compiled with Xcode. So I guess not everybody is using no code platforms or JavaScript based Platforms. I guess. At least I am not.

Xojo is full of bugs. Almost anything is better. :beetle: