What are some of the most important points you learned over the years as a programmer?

If I say so myself, going into a business, understanding how they operate and figuring out what their real needs are (as opposed to what they thing they are) is one of my biggest strengths. If I’m honest with myself, I’m probably better at that than I am at programming. Maybe I should just be a consultant and leave the development to others? :wink:

I do this all the time and it works great. I often write an entire function in English and then just fill in the code beneath each comment. Really gets your thinking straight and keeps it that way.

As my Wife can attest, this also works great. The number of times I start to talk to her about a problem and how I’ve been banging my head against the wall for hours with it, I get half way through explaining the issue and suddenly the penny drops and I scuttle off to fix it. She’s learnt not to even try to understand what I’m explaining to her and just be a sounding board.

We all need a rubber duck!