Shortest Keynote In History

Remember Web Edition’s launch? We didn’t say anything until release was imminent. What happened to that? Is this our own fault for demanding more openness from them?

Somehow I suspect you’re anticipating things that arent there yet

We also hadn’t done several “here’s what’s coming soon” type presentations

It was a secret until it was almost time to ship

Which certainly meant we got less “When will it ship” type questions
The downside being that perhaps there wasn’t as much public comment on it until much of it was baked & ready to go

Theres DEFINITELY a balancing act
But showing things years in advance (web2, android) doesn’t seem to have been a winning strategy so far

See, I was waiting for Xojo Android. And while waiting is boring without doing anything I learned to work with Kotlin. And so now I have Kotlin Multiplatform for IOS and Android AND Desktop and Web running. So my question is: who will wait 5 years for a platform after it is promised to come soon? Nobody. After five years and many other possible solutions it is at it’s death end.

I was hoping for a something about improving quality/reducing bugs.

2 Likes

Part of the problem is that Xojo doesn’t think it has a problem.

4 Likes

I attended the Xojo Q&A session just recently. And after having spent 3 days in LiveCode’s Online Conference … all I can say is what a stark contrast. The LiveCode Zoom sessions were completely open with participants able to ask questions directly to the engineers either via voice or via text in a Q&A panel box which were visible for all to see. You could see the number of participants. There were interactive exchanges between LiveCode engineers/employees and the user base. The Xojo Q&A felt very constricted and stark in contrast. You could not see any other participants(or how many) nor their questions in the Q&A panel. So I had no idea if someone else asked the same question. It appeared that Mr. Lefevre would pick and choose questions that he wanted to answer as my question was never addressed. Not impressed ! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Nothing has changed.

1 Like

AND in contrast a session from the LiveCode Conference: Screenshot at April 25th 2022 - 9.14.22 am@1.5x.png - Droplr

wow, that is sad stuff really :cry:

1 Like

interesting… I popped into the zoom meeting… .and NONE of those guys were there that I saw. It was Alyssa and 4 or so guys talking about music.

1 Like

2 different events.

• One is being recorded to post to YouTube.
  • Now there is a chat session with another 3 break rooms.

I don’t think everyone will like to see their face shown on a YouTube video at least without authorization, that is why the first event was not “face to face”. (My guess)

Thank you for the insight. So, if I understand correctly, the Xojo Q&A session was a formal session in a controlled environment (to be published on Youtube) which included questions by participants being hidden from other participants. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I went to a couple of the break rooms but they were very informal. It wasn’t the same as LiveCode Q&A session were all the engineers were assembled before all the participants in an interactive ‘town hall’ style meeting for the Q&A session (the Zoom sessions were recorded by the way). And to address your last statement, you probably know that participants can elect to be visible or not in Zoom meetings. :shushing_face:

But I will give Xojo the benefit of the doubt for now, as I still have an active license and I do like some aspects of Xojo :cowboy_hat_face:

too many of us gave them the “benefit of the doubt” for way too long

2 Likes

I definitely have a limited perspective since I’ve only been using their product for about a year … so I rely on your experience along with many others here on this forum for the wider perspective of many years.

You probably know the saying “The first 80% of the project take 20% of the work, and the last 20% of the project take 80%.”

Well, with Xojo it is “The first 20% take 1% of the work, the next 20% take 20% of the work, the next 20% take 30% of the work, the next 20% take 40% of the work, and the last 9% … can’t be done unless Xojo fixes that effing bug or you rewrite your project (in which case you probably run into another showstopper) :flushed:

2 Likes

Questions were not hidden. But to avoid spam, they are going to moderator first.
When answered, the questions become visible to everyone. That’s how such a webinar in Zoom works.

The hangout was a normal meeting with 3 breakout rooms.
There was the main hall with Alyssa, one room with Geoff and William, one with Paul and Travis and one with Javier and Ricardo.
So people could ask questions. Like Javier is to ask for PDF, Ricardo for Web, Paul and Travis for Android, William for Windows and Linux and Geoff for the whole company.
Quite nice talks and I switched between the rooms to get a bit of every room.

2 Likes

100% agree. For starters, the keynotes LiveCode vs Xojo were light years apart. Even if you were out of timezone and missed an LC session someone would double-back and answer any question asked.

1 Like

That’s the killer. The bugs. Everything starts off fine at a high level. Then the lower you go the more potholes you find. Eventually you’ll lose a tire.

1 Like