Opinions regarding Qt for Python for cross-platform desktop apps

Qt used Nuitka for their deployment tool.
Nuitka doesn’t use Qt.
:upside_down_face:

If it’s just the UI …

I have used Nuitka ( experimentally ) to package a wxPython app. It worked no problem (the only other third-party module the app had apart from wxPython was PyPubSub though so ymmv).

The licenses for wxPython / wxWidgets are less complicated than Qt.

Kivy is also worth considering and also pywebview

but you use qt when building a python qt app.

The point is, once again, there is NO one size fits all design and development ethos

For you clients its a non-issue - great
For Sam it is - that too is great

I suspect the users each of you target are not the same users and so different needs is unsurprising

And that difference will drive whether tor not you need to make native apps, ones that just look sort of native, but arent, or if that doesnt matter at all

1 Like

Would it be feasible for you to create separate threads for each programming language? Otherwise, we will continue to have these endless “debates”. There is a reason why there are numerous languages, frameworks, and tools. Each one makes sense to someone; otherwise, they wouldn’t exist. This even includes Xojo, which (still) falls into this category.

1 Like

Anyone can start a thread to discuss any programming language

Or are you thinking an entire category (like Show & Tell, Off topic etc ?)

1 Like

I meant the latter.

Perhaps just step by step starting with the major ones discussed in the recent past (to avoid too much initial work and tons of empty categories won’t help either). And I would keep it simple. One for Java would be sufficient for me and should then include threads about regular Java, JavaFX, Springboot, etc.

Then one for Python, one for Swift, one for GO …
Perhaps one for deployment tools.
Hal uses PHP, but I can’t remember that he posts a lot of content on PHP specifically.
And of course one for Xojo, as some of us replying indirectly to TOF questions.

One advantage could be to attract more people as well, and it makes it simplier to find stuff. Plus it would be more interesting than only beating up Xojo. I guess almost everything has been said … on the other hand almost all of us have moved meanwhile …

I’d encourage tagging posts starting threads with one of the may tags that are possible (and you can make some up)

We’ve done that with things like Java, Swift, etc so you can find threads across all channels that are tagged with one of those

Not sure how I feel about maybe creating language specific channels … :thinking:

Me neither, never thought about your feelings, sorry :slight_smile: - it might help people like @acaland screening the “market” … it might as well cause challenges I haven’t thought about yet …

I guess I’m more concerned about things becoming slightly balkanized

It definitely has pros & cons

1 Like

The point is that speaking about a solution which is not completely working will lead others on that road. Speaking about that. And it costs also money and is not for free. That’s what I said. And for me it makes no difference. If that would be a production ready solution we’ll, use it. But it isn’t

I could use also qt with java…but it isn’t a good idea. Qt with c++ is better

That’s where I see one advantage of categories. Take my posts of getting an Tauri App into the Apple Store or JavaFX into the windows store. People can’t build up their own opinion and if someone just want to use Java, or the way it looks, they can just move ahead.

The only thing we will need is some discipline in gerneral threads to link to other topics rather than opening a reilgious war within the general threads. That however will undoubtely be the tricky part, and it won’t always work … But if will probably know if it brings benefits if we will try. Is it some extra work? Yes, as always … :frowning:

1 Like

I’d agree
And when clients define “not completely working” as not being right on the platform being targeted then you have to think about what tools are used
That includes Xojo since its mostly native not completely native
And possibly Java
And Qt

I do not need to consider. I have no need for it. And that’s my job

Added new subcategories under General

Lets see if this works or if I need to promote them to new top level categories along side General Programming etc

2 Likes

The categories are certainly helpful for technical posts, i.g. how things cane be done. They don’t prevent us from having general discussions which are not tied to a specific category. As @Jeannot said, it may require a bit of discipline ( and routine) to get things sorted into the right place.

Which is why I am currently learning Swift and SwiftUI. I have to get out of Xojo, not just for my own sanity, but also for the quality of apps I can build.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll see how it goes wont we ?