No interest on Android?

I see no questions about the state of Androind on the Xojo forum. Is there no interest? Should the effort/time/money spent on Xojo Android had been better off spent on something else?

I can say with all honesty that in regards to Xojo, I have no interest what so ever in

• Android
  • iOS (would have, if they made a serious effort)
  • Web
  • or support for Linux :slight_smile:

So no :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

After 3 years of “soonish” i think folks are just not that anxious ?
The 2020 video’s mentioned it but there’s not much else to go on as to “when”
And I’m sure that plays into it

2 Likes

My lack of enthusiasm for Android support is two-fold:

1. I’m fully invested in the Apple ecosystem and don’t personally own any Android devices. Since I mostly program for a hobby (or console apps for work) I just don’t see a need for it personally.
  2. Xojo’s iOS implementation is terrible, languishing and poorly supported. Those facts alone don’t fill me with much confidence that Android will be any better.
1 Like

I had interest. But as it never materializes I think that it will be devoured by Dart/Flutter next year.

2 Likes

Android support would be great. It might even be enough to get me to buy a license again.

1 Like

Xojo took too long for Web. Now I’m a PHP dev and super happy about it.

Welcome @charonn0. what are you looking forwards to about it out of interest?

No specific reason just yet. But I have Android devices (never have been an Apple fan) and it would be nice to be able to write apps for them like I do for my desktop.

I think there is interest in Android but as Hal said for web: “took too long”, and after seeing that they need to do many things and the Road Map put several things between Web 2.0 and Android, I will be surprised if we see Android in Xojo2020. Maybe in Xojo2021

1 Like

I’m sure there is

This is an entirely different question
It could well be that they will be so late to the game that only people who need a means to take some existing code they have and get it on android will be anxious
Anyone else maybe has already “done something else” with B4A or some other tool to have an android app for their user base
Hard to know

And since its still sometime out in the future I think we need to see Web 2.0 first

1 Like

The Android implementation is way too late and when it finally arrives it will probably have limited functionality.
Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I think the implementation was not so for an intro version 1.

What was terrible was… this is still the intro version.

Also, considering the past, I would recommand not (never wait) wait about it (and if you need it now, take one who is already available).

It will be always time to check if it will be worth the license price when released.

Of course, you can still talk about it, and even wait for it, there are people who do that. :wink:

1 Like

I have some interest but nearly three years of ‘soon’ have dampened my enthusiasm. But then since iOS will need to be updated it really kind of sucks. I dunno. Seems like typical Xojo. Over promise and under deliver.

4 Likes

Over the years XOJO / RealBasic has gone down several developmental paths (new features, frameworks, systems supported, etc.). It seems that two things are consistent: everything takes too long to reach customers AND expectations are rarely close to being met. Often new exciting features are deprecated or abandoned a few years later. It has, though, generally provided a good basic system for developing for MacOS, although I was just bit last night with the language changes from the newer upgrades.

1 Like

I am sure Geoff would take exception to the phrase “good basic system” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I tend to agree
The only “new target” that really brought in TONS of new users was when they added Windows and gave VB6 users a free license
That was long before I worked there
I dont think adding Web or iOS or Xojo Cloud has added significantly to the user base but it has definitely expanded the number of things their engineering staff has to cover off

Windows, Web and Android covers 97% of the software needs of the world (client side). So, iOS, Mac and Desktop Linux are just luxury items from a practical point of view. If you have resources, go for it, I’ll love having such capabilities too. Interestingly, Geoff has put much more efforts to Mac than Windows for years, and that must be killed the interest of the guys coming from the VB6 legacy. And now the resources are limited and those platforms are not well, or even, served.

The size of the market isnt always the right thing to gauge where to focus
Its much easier to be a big fish in a small pond than to fight off all the sharks in the ocean

As for Xojo it started as a Mac focused tool and they ported it to Windows
But I think nearly everyone there is a Mac user first - except maybe William