Native or Consistent

@trishaduke: see https://forum.xojo.com/t/nicer-listbox-for-osx-based-on-nstableview-mbs/36083 . No to cross-platform. But I only need the listbox for macOS. Attaching a database is very easy to do.

Well the macOS tooltip has changed dramatically - but its still possible to show one depending on what version of Xojo you’re using

Win32 is still native though :slight_smile:
its not “modern” but thats a whole different thing since MS has what now … 3 4 UI toolkits ?
Win32, WPF Win Forms and now whatever is in Windows UI Library

You can still get Windows itself to show you Win32 windows for things :stuck_out_tongue:

Do they show each differently on screen?
Is one of them more used/best known than the others?
Do we just have to accept that an app made from one programming language will look differently than one made from another language?
How does it not confuse the users?

This “disclosure” (to me) raises a lot of questions, including whether I always felt Windows being unintuitive because there’s not “only one UI kind” across the OS.

you certainly used to be able to get the win32 look and Windows 10 look for certain windows on screen at the same time
cant say I have tried that recently

1 Like

Well, there is the lack of controls on one hand and not having native ones on windows…

If Xojo cant do a decent job from the ground, could they use a framework to have more controls, native and consistent? Something like wxWidgets.

what can one use the ‘disclosure triangle’ control for??
i never ever use it in my application

It’s part of a listbox, I think. The triangle you click on MacOS for expanding a row. It’s not used on Windows, they use a + sign instead.

you mean a treeview?

Are you asking me? Xojo doesn’t have a Treeview. I was speaking about the Expandable ListBox.

Huh! looks like the “replying to” arrow doesn’t always work. I replied to you but it’s not showing…

I did see it as a reply …
Ok, I did not know that one.

yeah the Xojo listbox is a swiss army knife and can be a grid, a treeview, a single column list and many other things

1 Like

But is stuck in the 90s.

True - they probably really need to split the thing into several more consistent controls across platforms
That might remove some capabilities and add some others

Or just hire me to “modernize” it. I can only do so much from the outside and sometimes not even very well.

Now imagine if they’d written the listbox in Xojo and we could see the source code… It would be super powerful by now.

Outside of listboxes, a disclosure triangle is (was?) used to expand/collapse dialog boxes or show/hide areas in a dialog box (like a “More options” button).
I don’t know whether they are still widely used these days. In Mac OS X, the Print and Save dialogs use a similar control (the disclosure button).
Disclosure triangles were used a lot in Mac OS Classic and earlier Mac OS X versions.