More MacOS questions

Covered those. That’s by design.

Do you know of any document-based applications that open multiple instances of themselves BY themselves when you try to open more than one document?

Was a talk I listened to years ago where someone compared the different operating systems, and explained the different design philosophies.

That explains the decision to go with one menu bar.

If Microsoft moved to SDI then good on them.

Another difference he explained that stuck in my (pretty bad) memory was that Apple uses a maximum scrolling speed that is machine dependent. So on Windows using the scroll arrows went like “woosh” on newer PCs (too fast to even see where you were) while MacOS scrolled at a speed where you could see where you were (and you were supposed to move the slider to cover larger distances). Unfortunately this was taken as “Macs are slow - look how fast my PC scrolls!!!” by those without a clue.

I’m normally not that interested in the minutiae of technical systems, but the evolution of technology and what was behind the decisions is fascinating.

P.S. I also remember my favourite game “Tyrian” becoming unplayable when I tried it on a 486 … everything went at superspeed.

Whether they start another instance of themselves isnt relevant
Just double click documents in the Explorer that could be opened by the app
For the ones I mentioned the OS will either start a new instance OR simply open one document at a time and ask you if you want to close the one that is already open

This doesnt occur on the mac and you actually have to force it to, unwillingly, start a new instance

Notepad Wordpad and even VS 2019 behave this way by design
Thats exactly the point

I disagree if it’s by design.

Sounds like the conversation is becoming a bit moot since we agree it’s not the way things work currently.

P.S. the last time I actually checked was around 2014 or 15 when I got my “Monster PC”: HexaCore i7, 32 GB of RAM, TitanX graphics card, Win7 Pro.

I was very annoyed when it was much worse at handling many open pdf files (which I routinely used to do in my research) than my 2010 Macbook Pro with a 2,53 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM. So I checked and saw many Acrobat instances running (I can’t say though which Acrobat version that was back then) as well as multiple Internet Explorer and Word instances.

I skipped Win8 completely and used Win10 in a VM on my Mac since then, but never installed Acrobat again as I did all my real work on the Mac (and Preview was perfectly fine for what I did). I also got a Mac Pro 5,1 from 2010 on eBay in 2017 and massively upgraded it: 2 3.47 GHz X3970 Xeon CPUs, 12 cores, 96 GB of RAM (was 128 GB but it is 25% faster with 96 due to triple channel tech) - an absolute dream machine, so my PC is pretty much gathering dust (just realized I haven’t even turned it on for over two years).

Why? It is by design. Opinion is irrelevant.

My answer to Christian was that the reason for a single toolbar was due to the different technological design philosophies, not due to “not to confuse people”.

1 Like

We’re not talking about hitting file open when you’re IN Acrobat
Just double click another document and see what happens
I created 2 rtf files in word pad
Saved them both
In Explorer double clicked one to open it
Then in Explorer double clicked the other
And there are 2 instances of word pad running

Do the same in macOS and text edit will open both in one instance

There are pros and cons to each model
With separate instances if one crashes for some reason it wont take the others down as well (usually)
But it can take more resources

The reverse is true with the one app to open multiple documents model
One instance crashing takes all your documents down as well
But it uses less resources overall

I am. May I ask you where I could hear the talk you’re talking about?

Another difference in this area: a Mac’s double click is done when you release the second click while on Windows, it’s done when you press the second click.
The reason is, on Mac, you have the opportunity to change your mind and keep the second click pressed longer than a double-click if you want to avoid the double-click.