Make External?!?

Next for me is cataract surgery sometime later this year, then new glasses. Clearly, the warranty on my body has expired :slight_smile:

Mine just has a big label that says

No deposit. No return.

So here are my results:

Yes, getting the picture takes a lot of time. Caching it makes it within easy striking distance of the native Xojo method.

When cached in a local picture variable and drawing the picture 100,000 times:
Xojo: 880 ticks, Norman: 931 ticks

When cached in a dictionary and drawing the picture 100,000 times:
Xojo: 883 ticks, Norman: 905 ticks (892 if the dictionary already exists)

When not cached at all (16" MBP 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB RAM), drawing just 1000 times:
Xojo: 11 ticks, Norman: 1241 ticks

So this turned out to be a great solution, thank you SO MUCH for your help!

No problem

Now the question is did it / does it help at all with the gigantic resources file(thats still puzzling and disconcerting as well)

Nope, the resources file is big because there about 10 different kinds of filetypes, and all of the icon images are fully populated, including the 1024x1024. So Iā€™m deleting the icon images from the Xojo project and using a build step to put them into the resources folder. I have to see how that works, I may also need to manually add the filetypes info to the plist.

At least thatā€™s the plan for now. Iā€™m planning on using your method for all of the other images, none of which are in the resources file.

I guess Swift/Xcode does something that Xojo doesnā€™t even attemptā€¦
I just checked on of my macOS apps that I wrote and compiled in Swift.

The 1024x1024 logo image by itself is 1.2Megā€¦ however the ICN file (which contains not only the 1024x1024 image but 3 other sizes as well) is only 172k ā€¦ every single graphic image in this app (and there are over 100 of them) take up a much much smaller footprint in the app bundle than they do in the ā€œprojectā€ file.

Interesting. Maybe I should try making a simple Swift app just to make the ICN files.

Oh yeah if you have lots of filetypes those images are in there
That will bulk that resources file up

Its not hard to do a plist entry & add it then copy the images in a build step as well

Are you working on an M1 Mac ?
Beatrix posted some info about post bulld steps breaking the ad hoc signatures which sort of makes sense as the ad hoc sign has to happn AFTER everything else (copy steps etc etc)

Its the use of the asset catalog more than anything Iā€™m sure

We could mess with that - but also note me other post about ad hoc signing

My partner and I are going to work through the various possibilities tomorrow night, hopefully that will produce some forward motion. Thank you!