LiveCode Changing Business Model

Looks like LiveCode recently obtained the funding to implement a Script Compiler which supposedly provides the following benefits:

Faster calculation scripts for everyone
Better syntax for everyone
10x speedup for compiler users
Greater security for compiler users
Faster development from our team

The new IDE prototype has been shown in demos - it looks comparable to any modern IDE and available on the web as well.

They currently have a ā€˜summer bundleā€™ offer that will save you $$$ if interested. You get a lot with it, including a large number of plugins not yet available in normal release as well as the time-honoured plugins such as those for integrating Word and Excel.

read more here: Megabundle ā€“ What Is It? | LiveCode

PS: no affiliation with LC - I just purchased this and was happy with what receivedā€¦ you also get access to all the conferences/webinars etc.

2 Likes

Just doing a quick review of the LiveCode Megabundle and, to me, it looks and smells better than the OmegaBundle for Xojo. Itā€™s by LiveCode not a 3rd party. It includes a bunch of training material, and what looks like some nice controls and libraries to start developing in LiveCode. The platinum bundle is interesting too.

Not to dis Valentina but itā€™s a fairly advanced tool that many (most?) Xojo developers wonā€™t use so to me it was never worth the money. But them much of the stuff I developed over the years directly competed with them so maybe my thoughts are in the minority of that.

Many years ago I looked at Runtime Revolution and it just didnā€™t suit my needs at the time. No idea if it would now either but just looking through the 2 websites (Xojo and LiveCode) and Iā€™d be drawn to LiveCode now more than Xojo. Their marketing is much smarter and cleaner IMO.

Eat this :ghost: Always interesting to look at:

Google Trends Xojo vs. LiveCode

1 Like

which is which ?

Blue is xojo

I never use Google for Xojo related searches. The Xojo forum is almost always better for me. Iā€™m curious how many others are the same way.

Since the older forum software and new documentation search is so bad, I always start at Google. I throw in a few Xojo keywords to make sure the results are only Xojo and I usually find what I want.

I got an Omegabundle once some years back. There were two things I was interested in (and it turned out I never used one of them). The cost of the two things individually were not a whole lot different in price than the bundle, but I likely would not have bought either one without the bundle as I did not have an immediate need for them ā€¦

For me to ever buy again i would need to have immediate definite needs for items whoā€™s cost individually added together was AT LEAST that of the bundle

BTW Many years ago I did buy V4RB sperately as the home grown RB DB left a lot to be desired.

But that was before RS/Xojo adopted SQLite as their DBā€¦ Since then there has been no point in using a Valentina DB locally IMOā€¦ And if I was going to use a server, I would go with Postgres.

I do use Valentina Studio occasionally but I have other options, and prefer to code my own reports so the Valentina stuff is not all that attractive to me in the bundle.

-Karen

Ah I see the legend was clipped off when I go to the link there

Iā€™m guessing this a a graph of searches relating to each platform?

and by ā€œeat thisā€ presumably your suggesting somehow XOJO is superior because there are more searches for XOJO?

I should perhaps point out this is apples vs oranges. LiveCode has an active mailing list and a very friendly and helpful forum, which is filled with gems. This means that many/most wonā€™t bother searching Google, but just post something on these and will get a near-instant response/solution. There is really a lot less of a reason to ā€œGoogleā€ LC stuff.

At the very least you will never be subject to bans :wink:

1 Like