Is.net core ready

You try to tell me that an engineer is needed but for Microsoft products not. That was the initial reason why I wrote it.
And no, updates are automated except you switch it off.

No $ are not everything, but they are not nothing. It is for each of us, a tradeoff between our philosophical and technical ideals and practical considerations, and we all call them as we see them. For me, it is more important to stay out of large corporate settings where the Peter Principle is rampant. And oddly, this doesnā€™t have all that much to do with the platform. Plenty of small-ish companies and departments run on the MSFT stack, have interesting problem domains to explore and the $ to make things happen, plus they care about good design and craftsmanship.

I confess readily that it was largely happenstance that I ended up with the particular toolset I now have. I went from FoxPro to .NET with some side excursions into SCO Xenix and classic macOS, and it has just worked out for me this way. I feel mostly delighted with the toolchain and the ecosystem, for my purposes and needs.

As for the financial side of things, some 15 years ago I was bleeding money in an ultimately useless attempt to keep my then-wife alive with off-label and experimental treatments, and I have needed major revenue since then to recover some semblance of good retirement prospects. So I went deep into certain problem domains that were relatively offshore-proof and which would pay me a premium. Those happen to be MSFT-centric.

Thatā€™s all it is ā€“ not some grand plan at all. Iā€™d probably be just as happy in Linux World, or Java, or, heck, bit-twiddling in C. I donā€™t have a religious belief that in the large scope of things, any one of them are that much better than the others. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

2 Likes

He isnā€™t.

Engineers - whether actual certified engineers or ones that are by name only - are needed in most areas where any OS is deployed at scale

At the very least ā€œsomeone in charge of managing installs, updates, patches and other OS maintenanceā€ and we name them whatever we want

Regardless of what OS it is

Live isnā€™t always kind and we still need to go on and get what it takes to do so.

1 Like

Indeed
We control what we can
The rest happens and we deal with it as it comes along
For better or worse

Yes but that is true for Ms and Linux servers

27 posts were split to a new topic: Medical costs in the USA